Large caliber restrictions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

marshall5
    (1/29/03 8:53:10 pm)
    Reply Large caliber restrictions?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if any of you have ever saw a rifle like the Denel NTW-20 African anti-material rifle,(it fires either a 20mm round or can be converted to a 14.5mm)but my question is what are the restrictions in the U.S. on a rifle of this caliber, and is it available to the civilian market? If so, how would I purchase one?

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/03 10:31:27 pm)
    Re: Large caliber restrictions?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anything using smokeless powder cannot be larger that 50 caliber.
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

Go Get Beer
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/03 4:04:38 am)
    Reply Re: Large caliber restrictions?
    I'm confused. What's with grenade launchers (37mm being mentioned as legal on this site)?
    I've heard of changing dimensions of the .50 AE round to fit with US legislation, but I thought it was in order to facilitate access to Desert Eagle pistols, not to enable it.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/30/03 11:39:27 am)
    Help is on the way for the grenade launcher stuff. I know they call them flare launchers instead of grenade and launch different kinds of ammo from them (not grenades)

I'll go roust up the guy who know.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/03 1:12:25 pm)
    Anything over 50 caliber is by law a "destructive device" except for a few exceptions such as a 10 or 12 gauge shotgun or black powder weapons.
    The 37mm flare launcher is a smoothbore and an emergency signaling device and at that you are restricted as to what you may launch out of them. You may not launch wood (in any form) or rubber balls or beanbags, as a payload out of them. You may not shoot anything at people, animals or property either. The only way to shoot those things are if you first register the launcher as a "destructive device" first fot $200. And again you still can't shoot "grenades" out out of them unless you register each round as a destructive device for $200 and after the round is fired you pick up the pieces of the grenade and send it to the batf+e with a complete written report as to who, what, when, where, and why.
    You may shoot out of a 37mm launcher flares, parachute flares, wild life scare rounds (bird bombs) and inert rounds such as 35mm film containers filled with sand.
    pub176.ezboard.com/bcurioandrelicfirearmsforum

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 1/31/03 12:02:46 am

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/03 1:22:42 pm)
    You may have larger than 50 caliber weapons in the U.S. but is has to be degistered as a 'destructive device". You may or may not be able to inport one (I don't know) but they are available to own if you have enough money.
    The 40mm grenade launcher is a "destructive device" by law in part because it has a rifled barrel and in part because of the availability of explosive rounds and other things you can shoot out of them such as flechette and buckshot rounds.
    pub176.ezboard.com/bcurioandrelicfirearmsforum

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/30/03 1:38:51 pm)
    Thaks jeeper

Go Get Beer
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/31/03 4:10:53 am)
    Thanks guys, very informative.
    If I understood this correctly any weapon with a rifled bore caliber of more than .50 is a destructive device and needs a special permit you may or may not get for US$ 200. If you want to launch anything destructive out of it (explosives and whatnot) you must register every round for US$ 200, right?

The sniper rifles mentioned in the first post (Anti-Material Rifles actually, you don't want to shoot them at people anyway) are therefore destructive devices and the above applies to them, except I don't know any exploding rounds for them, so you won't have to register those (but you'll have one hell of a headache trying to find any ammo for them at all).

AFAIK NTW-20 fires a round commonly found in airplane cannons. Would access to that ammo be in any way restricted? Could you buy armour piercing and incendiary rounds?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/31/03 11:22:49 am)
    Don't forget black powder rifles can be larger than .50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.