The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all. Looking to purchase the following pistol at a local auction. The auction listing states there is no known make on it. Truly the listing provides little information. Wondering if any of you fine folk might know what it is and any estimate what it might be worth. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a Tranter-type gun.
The engraving style is also English.
While it may be Belgian, it's finely made and decorated.
Yes, looking at the pics seems like you are on the right track. Man I joined this forum to try to find the value of a few muskets I bought and I’ve ended up falling in love with these things. I live in communist Canada and even though I’m a cop I can’t possess really anything besides my service weapons. Then I realized I can buy anything pre 1896 without any type of licence and, much to my wife’s chagrin, I’m hooked!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, looking at the pics seems like you are on the right track. Man I joined this forum to try to find the value of a few muskets I bought and I’ve ended up falling in love with these things. I live in communist Canada and even though I’m a cop I can’t possess really anything besides my service weapons. Then I realized I can buy anything pre 1896 without any type of licence and, much to my wife’s chagrin, I’m hooked!
You're a cop? I'm an ex MP. FYI, the cut-off date is 1898 not 1896. I have a S&W Mod.3 Navy in .44 Russian made in 1881 that I reload for so I can have a legal carry when I'm doing wilderness work. Besides the cut-off date, the pistol must be in a calibre that is on the RCMP's list of "obsolete" calibres, but I assume you know that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Remove the cylinder, and look for proof markings on the rear face. Have a gut feeling you will see Belgian proof marks. In the 1860s, Webley began making the Royal Irish Constabulary revolver. The national pastime of Belgium became making copies of the RIC. One earmark of the Belgians (but not just them) was the safety.

Nouvelle page 0 (littlegun.be)

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Remove the cylinder, and look for proof markings on the rear face. Have a gut feeling you will see Belgian proof marks. In the 1860s, Webley began making the Royal Irish Constabulary revolver. The national pastime of Belgium became making copies of the RIC. One earmark of the Belgians (but not just them) was the safety.

Nouvelle page 0 (littlegun.be)
I believe you nailed it. Webley & Sons Belgium Constable .320 caliber Six-shot double action Revolver, mfg. 1867, 2 3/4" bbl. | Firearms & Military Artifacts Firearms Pistols Revolvers | Online Auctions | Proxibid

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We told you Jeff be carful these old guns were addictive and would get in your blood !!! Welcome to the OLD GUN NUT CLUB !!!! o_Oo_O
Oh dear, I’ve already gone deep deep down the rabbit hole lol. Is there a thread somewhere on this site for a “wife support group”, or better yet a “how to keep adding to collection but avoid divorce” lol. I guess it was a natural place for me to end up. Huge history nut, especially military history, and, well, firearms where there for probably all the most important parts of history over the last 600 years or so!

And you nailed it with that Belgian revolver Man you guys continue to impress! I bid it up to $350 but that was my max, it went for $352 (Canadian). Looking at that auction posted above, perhaps a bit much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're a cop? I'm an ex MP. FYI, the cut-off date is 1898 not 1896. I have a S&W Mod.3 Navy in .44 Russian made in 1881 that I reload for so I can have a legal carry when I'm doing wilderness work. Besides the cut-off date, the pistol must be in a calibre that is on the RCMP's list of "obsolete" calibres, but I assume you know that.
Well retired cop (disability retirement because of PTSD). Yes 1898, and was actually unaware that it had to be an “obsolete” calibre, even being a cop for almost 20 years never really tried to figure out the gun regulations up here, you pretty much need a law degree lol. Plus I’m a bit of a libertarian so tried my best to leave people alone unless they were causing problems.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
$2.00....don't that beat all. Doggone the bad luck. That looks like a pretty decent revolver and interesting!!

Old firearms and divorce. We will be happily married 43 years come September. I learned a long time ago, 40 years ago, that for me it works best just to say I want this or, I bought this. I cut it off at $1,000. Anything much above that and if it's on line I'll say, "Come here, look at this. I'd like to have it." Now, if you've done your home work and your shopping for a bargain you're interested in, you've found honest comparables for which the asking price is quite a bit more. If your wife is anything like mine she will appreciate the investment potential. So far she's not refused me. I get the eye roll and, "another gun" comment but, Momma has given her blessing so all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
And you nailed it with that Belgian revolver Man you guys continue to impress!
First off, welcome to TFF. +1 with your recent comment. Been a member for a couple of years and am still impressed (pretty much daily) with the level of expertise some of the folks on here have.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Lots of ways !!!!! If you get a gun safe get one plenty big so it will have plenty of empty spots , Big safe and empty spots equals few gun wives think . , don't let hear ever know for sure how many you got , not a proud thing but baggy pants helps when sneaking new guns into the house and a real good one "I am keeping or "working" on it for a friend " ... Yes some are white lies but hey you are in trouble anyway so what's one more knot put on your head !!! GOOD LUCK !!!

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Sure sooner....that would work at my house.....lol!!!!

Then there is always, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.