The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a mid/late 1850's muzzloder that was built by C. Brockway ELK CO PA. C is for Chauncey. Only known alteration is new nipple as shown in pics. I got this rifle years ago from my late uncle's collection. He was a very well known black powder gun maker/accurizer in PA. He did a lot of work for guys in the cowboy shooting circles. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is funny. The last time we shot this rifle my dad was trying to figure out that site. It unscrews and can be turned around. That would have been a classic "my dad" kind of move. He passed away and the last four years its just been in the safe collecting dust. Never even noticed it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What you have appears to be what is normally called an "Half Stock Sporting Rifle" and is usually associated with gunmakers from Ohio. This style was made from the 1840's to the turn of the century. Have you had the barrel out of the stock to see if there might be a barrel makers name anywhere (Remington supplied a lot of barrels to the small makers during this period.)
I have several of this type of sporting rifle and yours is a little unusual in having the tang sight, but that could be a later addition. It appears yours was intended for hunting as it has a half-cock. Two of mine are strictly "target" type where there is no half cock. They were intended for the shooter to load up, toe the line, prime and fire, so no safety notch needed. In fact I thought that the first one I have was broken because you couldn't even get it cocked until the set trigger was set. When I got another one with the same "problem" I found that is the way they were designed. No half cock notch and the sear won't catch the hammer until the trigger is set....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never taken the barrel out before. I did do a little digging on Chauncy Brockway. He was a smitty. For several years in elk co records he was indeed listed as a gunsmith. There were a couple of other Brockways that were gunmakers also. The note my uncle had written and put with gun states it had been noted in a book and a couple of magazine articles. Haven't ever found them though.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
How much does it weigh? If it is as heavy as it looks and with that small a caliber, it may be a target gun, or a dual-purpose target/sporting rifle given the half cock feature and patch box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for its size it is very heavy. I have a half stock hawken 40 cal target my uncle built in the 70's, and a fullstock Pennsylvania long rifle he built in the 90's. It's not quite as heavy as those 2, but it is much shorter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts