The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping that I can get some help identifying this Winchester Model 63 that I inherited from my late grandfather. He purchased the rifle on 3/12/1960 for $74.

It has a 23" barrel with grooves on the top of the receiver, on which a Weaver scope is mounted. The serial is 176XXX, which is very high, based on the research I have been able to do. I'm not sure when it was manufactured, but it was in one of the last years of the model run.

Condition is excellent with only shallow scratches on the wood. No rust and 99% blueing remains on the metal. It's been a few years since I shot it, but I don't remember having any problems when I did so.

I have the original instructions and hang tag, but unfortunately, not the original box.

Any idea what it might be worth or which year it was manufactured? Does the high serial number contribute anything towards the value that it might have?

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Late production 1960, $600-$700 Range. Lot of folks consider them a "Jam-O-Matic"
Add 20% if that is a grooved receiver. I can't tell for sure from the pics

·
Registered
353 Posts
modelo63,

22WRF I'm thinking is pretty close to estimating the current value ($600 - $700) for a minty model 63 non grooved receiver, and yes, add 20% for the grooved receiver which it has.

My estimate would be around $900 - $1000 for your gun. Maybe a little more. And the value will continue to go up but keep the gun 100% original. Do not refinish the wood, have it reblued, install sling swivels or any other sinful deeds. The hang tag and instructions add value as well.

You have a dandy. Shoot it and wipe it down afterwards.

A very nice looking Winchester 63. Hope this helps.

Jolly

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Model 63 is most certainly not a "Jam-O-Matic". In fact, the opposite is the actual truth. People who experience problems with one are not using the proper ammo.

Production of the Model 63 ended in December of 1958 at serial number 174692. There were at least a few thousand parts clean-up rifles manufactured through the early 1960s, and your rifle is one of them. The value of your rifle is higher than previously quoted. It appears to be in 95%+ condition, and it has a retail value in the $1500 - $1600 range.

Bert H.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice call Bert...I was going to say, I saw one at auction earlier, around the end of January, that was not as nice as the one pictured, without the Weaver, and it sold for $1250, and it did have the grooved rcvr. The rifle pictured is in GREAT condition, and worth pretty much what you have quoted. IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, guys. I do plan to keep it and shoot it, but now I know to be extra careful about keeping it in good shape.

Bert, thanks for the info about the serial number range. I haven't been able to find specific serial ranges for each year. May I ask where you find this info?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. I do plan to keep it and shoot it, but now I know to be extra careful about keeping it in good shape.

Bert, thanks for the info about the serial number range. I haven't been able to find specific serial ranges for each year. May I ask where you find this info?
It is published in the reference book that I co-wrote and edited (chapter 8 of "The RED BOOK of Winchester Values").

I am also the Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA) Historian.

Bert H.
WACA 6571L

·
Registered
443 Posts
Jam O matic good grief :eek:, worst comment ever....

I too have a model 63 its my regular shooter , lots of round and almost never jams..........

BTW I have serial# 513, probably the first run......

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Jam? Yes I could see it being a problem. I will give you 300.00 and see if I could find room and JAM it into my safe somewhere.:D:D You have one damn nice little rifle there. I have been looking hard at one at our LGS and it is not even close to being as nice as the one you have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts