The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I work at a gunshop with my grandfarther and we recently received a very interesting piece. It is a Walther PP with a serial number and the letters "AC" underneath but other than that there are no markings whatsoever... The serial number appears again (matching) on the handle but that is it.

The gun was found by our neighbor who was selling his son's house who unfortunately passed away and while cleaning the attic the gun was found underneath a floorboard wrapped in an oil rag. It appears to be in excellent condition and doesn't appear to have been refinished because of a few scuff marks and the fact that we can still feel the serial number embedded in the gun which we don't think would be possible if it had been re-blued.
The number is the highest we have ever seen and leads us to believe it was manufactured late in the war, possibly as late as March of 1945. What puzzles us is the lack of the crown or N that usually appeared on Walther PP's of the time.

Also the two magazines have nothing exciting on them except for a small W at the base. Unsure of what that means as well.

Was just hoping for a little more insight on the subject as to what might have lead to the lack of markings and what something like this might even be worth, Thanks in advance!!!

· Premium Member
12,078 Posts
I've read of P.08s and P38s assembled for sale/barter to occupation troops. Allied forces overran Walther's Zella-Mehlis facilities in April of '45 I believe, so your otherwise unmarked PP may fall into that category. Just a shot-in-the-dark guess.

· Registered
5,350 Posts
The last PP out the door was Serial number 397000P in April 1945. The ac code was last known use was serial number 356450P at the end of 1944. So I would guess it was made at the end of 1944 and should have the proper markings. I guess it could have been assembled with left over parts at the end of the war, but in that case it would likely have mismatched slide and frame, maybe. However it does look to have been refinished sometime in it's life { JMO }, value I will leave to others but it doesn't have any special value other than historical.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have expected other markings as well... I added a clearer picture of the serial number because the AC is definitely there but that is the only besides the serial numbers themselves.

I also had the same thoughts that it might have been one made from parts found by american soldiers after they took over the plant but then the odds of having them matched would have been really low, so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

· Premium Member
10,194 Posts
It appears to be in excellent condition and doesn't appear to have been refinished because of a few scuff marks and the fact that we can still feel the serial number embedded in the gun which we don't think would be possible if it had been re-blued.

Welcome to TFF.
I think this gun HAS been re-blued.I am not sure what you mean about the ser.# when I restore guns the ser.# are sharp and clear.A close up of the steel shows sand marks and uneven(dished) spots which would happen if someone did not take there time stripping for bluing.
I can not help with it's value but if you are a gun shop you should have books on the value.But with it being restored that will knock down it's value.
And some of the stamps could have been sanded off in the restore.
Others will be along that can help with it's value.
Mike

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

You know it very well could have been. I admit my knowledge on guns is still mediocre (I'm only 21) and just starting at my grandfather's shop. However, I am by far the more "tech savy" which is why I'm on here haha. So it is possible that it could have been refinished as I don't know what it might have looked like before. What I meant by the ser. # bit was only information that was passed on to me. I was told that when you ran your finger across the # you could still feel the numbers and the indentations where they were made which could mean that it wasn't redone.

As for the value, we have had little luck in determining that with what we have available because everything I have found in my research has mentioned markings besides just the AC. And with that being the only clue, I was unsure if that would increase or decrease the value which was usually around 5-600 for a normal one... I think.

· Registered
5,350 Posts
Well, don't know, it is still a wartime PP, and in fact made during the last gasps of the Third Reich. Bombs were falling, bullets flying. the Russians coming in one direction and the allies from the other. So it does mark a certain time in history. I'm, sure there are those that will give you 4 to 5 hundred just for those facts or to fill a hole in their collection. :) By the way, welcome to the forum, you'al come back , hear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.