The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a 1953 Hungarian M44 barreled receiver then went shopping for parts. Had a stock, trigger and a couple other small parts. Here's the end results, thanks to SARCO, Numrich and Omega Weapons Systems, although the parts from Omega were freaking NASTY, a night spent in a container of Simple Green, set on top of a vibrating dehumidifier in the basement totally stripped them to white!

·
Premium Member
13,281 Posts
Nicely done on the the M44! Recently picked up a Chinese Type 53 - their version of the M44 - which is in the process of being degunkified. You'd mentioned Simple Green stripping parts down to the white. Were you referring to just removing grease and dirt, or finish also? We use Simple Green for household cleanups, and if it's capable of removing bluing I have a project or two in mind for it that doesn't involve housework. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used it at about 75% strength, tossed in a magazine floorplate and spring assembly, both action bolts, various assorted small screws, the interrupter and it's spring, the trigger pin, the "bolt stop- sear spring". Set the container on top of the dehumidifier and you could see the "waves" bouncing off the sides. Put it on there about 7PM and took it off about 6PM the next evening and rinsed the parts and there was NO finish whatsoever on the parts, whether they were blued or painted I'm not for sure, I looked at my other Mosin's and it's really hard to say what coating they have. I may toss some other stuff in there that I know is blued and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
13,281 Posts
I used it at about 75% strength, tossed in a magazine floorplate and spring assembly, both action bolts, various assorted small screws, the interrupter and it's spring, the trigger pin, the "bolt stop- sear spring". Set the container on top of the dehumidifier and you could see the "waves" bouncing off the sides. Put it on there about 7PM and took it off about 6PM the next evening and rinsed the parts and there was NO finish whatsoever on the parts, whether they were blued or painted I'm not for sure, I looked at my other Mosin's and it's really hard to say what coating they have. I may toss some other stuff in there that I know is blued and see what happens.
I appreciate the information. We've gallons of Simple Green (great stuff), so I'll start off with a few small items in a pyrex bowl balanced atop my better half's rock tumbler, weight it down so it doesn't vibrate off during the night, and check in the morning. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts