The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's official I'm hooked on this new hobby of black powder revolvers and its getting expensive. I don't know why but every night I have to search the auctions and look for sales at all the stores and yesterday while looking I ran across a ruger old army on ******** and I had no intention of buying but for some reason felt compelled to shoot the guy a text and ask him if he would take $450 he was asking $500 and he said yes and well I sent him the money it's a ss adjustable sights and he said appears to be unfired. So know I need to order a .457 rb mold and nipple wrench for hex head. But for the nipples it looks like I should be able to get some other tool to work to remove them so if anybody uses something other than a nipple wrench I would like to hear about it because the only ones I can find for sale cost about $20 bucks and I'm finding my self short of funds all of a sudden. I'm also thinking about selling my uberti 58 in .44 cal to offset the price of my new ruger purchase.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just saw your post this is a little late But since no one has replied I will . A 1/4" drive 6point socket that fits the nipple works fine. I think it's a 3/16" I use it with a screwdriver type handle but keep a 1/4" breaker bar handy if things get too tight. This works for my old army Hope it helps you

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
You've been bitten by a bug brick - there is no known cure :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I bought a 3/16 nut driver that fits good I like the nut driver better than a nipple wrench it's faster and easier but I like the socket deal i seen that track had stainless ruger hex head nipples on sale a few weeks ago and bought a set for my uberti remmy for faster and easier removal and replacement however they are not the quality that I expected they are not very good one striped out and is now stuck in the cylinder I'm going to try that 6 point socket on it I don't know why it stripped I always put some bore butter on the threads and never over tighten them the other five work good once I get it out if I get it out that is I'm going back to the factory nips the nips from track also do not clean up good after first time at range they are never shiny again they stay black junk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts