The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curiosity is getting the better of me,

Are there any federal regulations preventing some one from building a "one of" (non mass produced) rifle?
I have seen a few over/under .22/.410 rifles on the market (savage being one), but i'm looking for a bit more versatility. I like the idea of having a shot shell and a "metallic cartridge" set up, but feel limited by fixed barrels of a fixed caliber/gauge.

I was curious if it was possible to make an over/under with changeable barrels (like a pump shotgun going from slug barrel to bird barrel). For instance.. if I don't want a .22 on the top, swap that barrel for say a .357 or .44mag. and if the .410 on the bottom wont do, swap it for a 20, 16, or 12..

This Idea came about while squirrel hunting the other day.. yes the o/u .22/.410 is good for that.. but what if you wanted a more stout "reserved" barrel for say,.. hey look, there is that buck I was after (in season and properly licensed) POP, I just bagged my buck while squirrel hunting. or vise versa. (not that you'd be picking off squirrels and be expecting to see a deer)

Or does such a monster already exist and I just have to look harder.
Thanks for any input.
Shawn

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
They make some kind of variation of what you are talking about, I think. I think there was a thread about that years ago, but my brain dont work that good.

As far as building your own, I believe that you can do it, but would not be able to sell it or transfer it without jumping through the legal hoops. Do a good search for survival guns or alaskan guns or something like that. Those terms seem like they were part of that old thread that was talking about them. Of course, I could be wrong on all of this.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As long as YOUR state has no restrictions and the firearm you make does not qualify as NFA you can build whatever you want.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the police box! a Dr. Who fan myself, Now.. NFA? layman terms.. or ill just google it. Ill check what laws Michigan has, and check on NFA?...
Im just looking for a simple sporting rifle, single shot, break action... changeable barrel O/U gun... so, i was thinking .. make one. Sounds too simple... something will stop me!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.K. National Firearms Act.. doesn't look too bad...
I suppose if I produce a working drawing.. figure out design, function, materials, strength, loads, and submit the information to the local ATFB and I can get their 2 cents on what action I should take next. And if they don't have an issue... make one?

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
No restriction building for your self so long as you maintain guidelines for the weaponry allowed in your state or county. Now if you build them and intend to sell them as a source of income youd need an FFL-07 which a manufacturers license and costs about 2500 a year to maintain..

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont want to sell it (the patent maybe).. I want to use it for hunting... we are greedy with our guns here in Michigan.. MINE, MINE, MINE! like the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Build away then. just dont make anything rock n roll, over .50 cal, or explosive and you should be Ok.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking .410 and 20g a.. for the shot part and .22 Lr/ .22 WMR/ .17/ and maybe some pistol cal, 357/ 44mag .45 LC kind of barrels. All interchangeable in an O/U configuration.. I don't need a 50 BMG as to "cook the game as I kill it". (think I heard some elected representative say something like that).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I built this one. Looked up correct address of NFA unit & sent in pictures and description, asking if there was any legal problem. Couple years ago & no reply. It is 12 gauge, lever rotates & cocks it, loads like a SA Colt.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Does the barrel cylinder gap burn your arm?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I built this one. Looked up correct address of NFA unit & sent in pictures and description, asking if there was any legal problem. Couple years ago & no reply. It is 12 gauge, lever rotates & cocks it, loads like a SA Colt.

I like the look of that. How much for the tech drawing?? LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.