The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curiosity is getting the better of me,

Are there any federal regulations preventing some one from building a "one of" (non mass produced) rifle?
I have seen a few over/under .22/.410 rifles on the market (savage being one), but i'm looking for a bit more versatility. I like the idea of having a shot shell and a "metallic cartridge" set up, but feel limited by fixed barrels of a fixed caliber/gauge.

I was curious if it was possible to make an over/under with changeable barrels (like a pump shotgun going from slug barrel to bird barrel). For instance.. if I don't want a .22 on the top, swap that barrel for say a .357 or .44mag. and if the .410 on the bottom wont do, swap it for a 20, 16, or 12..

This Idea came about while squirrel hunting the other day.. yes the o/u .22/.410 is good for that.. but what if you wanted a more stout "reserved" barrel for say,.. hey look, there is that buck I was after (in season and properly licensed) POP, I just bagged my buck while squirrel hunting. or vise versa. (not that you'd be picking off squirrels and be expecting to see a deer)

Or does such a monster already exist and I just have to look harder.
Thanks for any input.
Shawn

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the police box! a Dr. Who fan myself, Now.. NFA? layman terms.. or ill just google it. Ill check what laws Michigan has, and check on NFA?...
Im just looking for a simple sporting rifle, single shot, break action... changeable barrel O/U gun... so, i was thinking .. make one. Sounds too simple... something will stop me!

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.K. National Firearms Act.. doesn't look too bad...
I suppose if I produce a working drawing.. figure out design, function, materials, strength, loads, and submit the information to the local ATFB and I can get their 2 cents on what action I should take next. And if they don't have an issue... make one?

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont want to sell it (the patent maybe).. I want to use it for hunting... we are greedy with our guns here in Michigan.. MINE, MINE, MINE! like the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking .410 and 20g a.. for the shot part and .22 Lr/ .22 WMR/ .17/ and maybe some pistol cal, 357/ 44mag .45 LC kind of barrels. All interchangeable in an O/U configuration.. I don't need a 50 BMG as to "cook the game as I kill it". (think I heard some elected representative say something like that).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.