The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hard Lead Alloy that I am interested in using to Cast 230gr Flat Point or Hollow Point with. I dont have anyone near me that Casts their Own. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to do a hardness test on a sample of my Hard alloy. if so I would send a 1 pound (Approx weight. So Far all I have used this lead for is for my .50cal Conical bullets for my Muzzle Loader. The Sample would be yours to keep in return for the help TYIA for any help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Hard Lead Alloy that I am interested in using to Cast 230gr Flat Point or Hollow Point with. I dont have anyone near me that Casts their Own. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to do a hardness test on a sample of my Hard alloy. if so I would send a 1 pound (Approx weight. So Far all I have used this lead for is for my .50cal Conical bullets for my Muzzle Loader. The Sample would be yours to keep in return for the help TYIA for any help.
dude, a Lee tester works fine...and are cheap... or a pencil kit is even cheaper.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Just in case anyone need the chart here it is. I also included a photo of what the tip of the pencil should look like for doing the test, after sharpening I use a piece of sandpaper to square the tip. You also need to hold the pencil at a 45-degree angle when preforming the test on your bullets or ingots.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Wheel weights are either water quenched or air cooled by the reloader after casting and or coating. It's a personal preference to air cool or water quench. Water quenching is said to bring the Brinell hardness up (harder bullets).

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I have one of those Cheapskate pencil testers and it gives close enough results for me . The other higher costing ones may be more precise , not sure .

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cast my round ball, from pure lead wire fishing whieght wire. My .50 cal Conicals are cast from Isotope Bottle lead (Hard Lead,

Reactions: soonerfan66

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All this discussion about Lead Hardness ,got me thinking. So I went to the Garage and did an inventory of my lead . Already converted to Usable Projectiles I have 32 pounds of soft .490 RB. I have 35 pounds of 50cal conicacals each at 490 Grains.I have about 250 pounds of hard lead in ingots And another 30 or so pounds in the smelting pot waiting for dry weather. to be molded into ingots.

I am going to have to get some more Bullet molds.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Reactions: Gudaki

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ones I am interested in are all out of stock at Midway. and all the Brick and Mortor stores I check. I need to look through the Notchez

Reactions: BlackEagle
1 - 14 of 14 Posts