The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
You did NOT do a search for "leather wrap for lever action rifle". I just did and got many hits; including Amazon. There is even a web site called WWW.LEVERWRAP.COM............. Have a ball!!

·
TFF Chaplain
19,771 Posts
I'll see if I can give a sensible idea of how I did it with a shoe lace on mine. This is a leather wrap for the lever on my rifle.

It's copying how Indians used to do their feathers. It's also how I learned to whip the end of a rope in Boy Scouts.

Get your leather bootlace, and starting at the end farthest away from the trigger, lay the lace along the lever, inside or outside up to where it starts to curve into the trigger guard. Go a little farther, and loop it back to the back end of the lever. Make sure the first end that you started with sticks out past the lever far enough so you can get hold of it later.

Now wind the lace around the two strands of leather and the lever starting from the aft end of the lever, working up to the trigger end. Make it snug, but not too tight.

When you get as far as you want, run the free end of the lace through the loop you made earlier. Pull the end of the lace at the aft end of the lever to pull the loop down into the wrappings, so it is no longer visible and cut off the excess at both ends.

Just found a video:

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Here is a couple I did, I like them but my only complaint is that the wraps were a bit wider than I would have liked. So they are not as tight as I like them and they move around on the lever a bit. I soak the leather in oil prior to installation to keep the levers from rusting.
20191214_005637.jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is a couple I did, I like them but my only complaint is that the wraps were a bit wider than I would have liked. So they are not as tight as I like them and they move around on the lever a bit. I soak the leather in oil prior to installation to keep the levers from rusting. View attachment 239462
ooh, rusting. I never thought of that. I better go check the Marlin soon. I put the wrap on mine so the hard edges didn't bother my hand so much during rapid fire. It's been many years since then.

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
I found the guns but I cant find a kit, cant find the thread, cant find my shoelaces.:cry:
Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep and don't know where to find them.....😁

Looks just like wrapping a guide on a rod..only a lot less tedious!!

·
TFF Chaplain
19,771 Posts
Just for what it's worth, I didn't have a leather lace when I did mine. I used a thick brown fabric bootlace, so I don't think there will be a moisture problem.

I did mine for the same reason Grizzley2 did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be careful of that leather wrap on the Lever because there will be moisture tapped underneath that wrap and rust will appear and then it will be too late! It happened to me on my Winchester Lever Action gun. It looks cool but I don't recommend doing it!

·
Premium Member
17,992 Posts
Be careful of that leather wrap on the Lever because there will be moisture tapped underneath that wrap and rust will appear and then it will be too late! It happened to me on my Winchester Lever Action gun. It looks cool but I don't recommend doing it!
Post #5 by bigdog gave a good trick on how to avoid the moisture problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts