The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to load hand gun for the first time.

9mm Luger, 124gr fmj, Hodgden titegroup
speer #14 calls for 4.0 to 4.4 gr.
autodisc chart says 4.0 = .34 and 4.4 = .37

I cycled measure 10 times and then took 5 samples. I got a consistent reading of 3.8 with the .34 disc and 4.0 with the .37 disc

my question is should I just run 10 rounds using the .37 disc with 4.0gr and see how my Beretta 92A1 likes it? if I decide to go more should I look into using the .40 disc? (I haven't ran this yet so I don't know what it throws)

I started off a few months ago with Power Pistol but the measure kept spitting it out the sides and Titegroup measures cleanly for me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The weight of the powder is your guideline.
Each lot of powder will have a slightly different bulk density.
First, take your powder measure, with the top on, and shake it to settle the powder. Then throw at least 10 charges, pouring them back in the hopper, and THEN start to determine what weight is being thrown
Usually, for a given charge weight, you will need to move up one or two cavities.
You appear to getting non-usual heavier charges.
Trust your scale and remember the Lee data is a guideline.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
68c15:

The LEE Auto Disk conversion chart notoriously delivers lighter charges when measured with a scale. The scale measurement is what counts, but....

The LEE Auto Disk is a very poor powder measure as you found out with the use of a fine grained powder like Power Pistol. There are lots of fine grained powders out there that you can not use with that powder measure. Dump the LEE measure and get yourself a good RCBS or even better a Redding powder measure. The Lyman measures are good as are the Hornady measures.

Anything LEE sells suffers the age old LEE problem of a good idea done with the wrong materials that impact it usefulness. I have tired most of the LEE reloading products and, with the one exception of the LEE Factory Crimp Die for rifle cartridges, they have all been given away or thrown in the trash. While the LEE pricing entices the buyer, the end result is less than stellar. If I were to pick one manufacturers reloading equipment (other than the press...I like Dillion's RL550B for a press) it would be RCBS. But others make good stuff too but RCBS's reloading equipment is consistently the best.

That's my opinion based on 25 years of reloading for over 30 different cartridges. Others may disagree.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I agree with LD, up to a point. The Lee auto disc is just a bad idea to come up with a cheap way to measure powder. While I like most of Lee's equipment, the auto disc is not one of them. May I suggest a Lee Perfect Powder Measure: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540522/lee-perfect-powder-measure If you do not want to stick with Lee, then buy one of the ones that LD mentioned. They are all good, but more expensive than the Lee. No matter what your disc throws, weigh each charge, and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I have owned and used both the LEE Auto Disk and the LEE Perfect powder measures and both were thrown out. You get what you pay for.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I have owned and used both the LEE Auto Disk and the LEE Perfect powder measures and both were thrown out. You get what you pay for.

LDBennett
I bought my first Perfect Powder measure back in the late 70's, lost it when I lost everything else I had. Bought a new one in 92, and replaced it last year after I droped, and stepped on the cap. Once these are set, you just check every 10th load. Sorry you had a bad experience with Lee. I know folks who have had a bad experience with RCBS, and some of the more expensive reloading set ups.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

LDBennett
there is absolutely no way I can argue with that. I got the measure with the pro 1000 for a real good price. I'm just holding out for a budget increase.

so use the chart as a starting point and take the scale readings as gospel?

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
there is absolutely no way I can argue with that. I got the measure with the pro 1000 for a real good price. I'm just holding out for a budget increase.

so use the chart as a starting point and take the scale readings as gospel?
Yup, go with what the scale tells you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I must be the only person that got a Lee pro auto disk measure that works. Once I have it set to throw the charge I want it will throw that charge all day long. It is just as consistant as my Dillon measure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've got 3 auto disc powder measures. They are setup on the powder through dies for my pistol calibers. I just dump the powder in and start loading. Mine are all very consistent. I run Bullseye and AA#5 depending on caliber.

For my rifles I use Hornady LNL bench mounted powder measures. I have separate measures for .223 and .30-06.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Count me in as yet another VERY satisfied Lee user. I have the Perfect for use with my Anniv single stage and the Pro Auto-Disk disk on my Classic turret.

BOTH are totally reliable and consistent with MY powder of choice- Win 231/HP-38.

I confess to having never really looked at the supplied Lee chart - I did take the time to make my own chart up listing the various hole sizes and how much powder they throw as weighed by MY scale. And that satisfies MY reloading needs perfectly. Micro-disk measurements included for my.380 reloads. I still however throw ten and then check weigh before each loading session and make any size adjustments should they be necessary (usually not needed).

YMMV - Most every powder measure out there regardless of brand is a volumetric unit and I suspect all have one or two powder types they don't handle well. The Lee handles ball powders without a hiccup.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ran 200 rounds and all were extremely consistent. I checked every 10th one.
put me down as a satisfied auto-disc owner. Now if only the pro 1000 it was attached to would seat primers I would be in business. I'm so frustrated I gave up and hand primed them then went through and ran them in to drop and seat/crimp. Only 900 more to go. Anyone want to help hand priming?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
68c15:

The LEE Auto Disk conversion chart notoriously delivers lighter charges when measured with a scale. The scale measurement is what counts, but....

The LEE Auto Disk is a very poor powder measure as you found out with the use of a fine grained powder like Power Pistol. There are lots of fine grained powders out there that you can not use with that powder measure. Dump the LEE measure and get yourself a good RCBS or even better a Redding powder measure. The Lyman measures are good as are the Hornady measures.

Anything LEE sells suffers the age old LEE problem of a good idea done with the wrong materials that impact it usefulness. I have tired most of the LEE reloading products and, with the one exception of the LEE Factory Crimp Die for rifle cartridges, they have all been given away or thrown in the trash. While the LEE pricing entices the buyer, the end result is less than stellar. If I were to pick one manufacturers reloading equipment (other than the press...I like Dillion's RL550B for a press) it would be RCBS. But others make good stuff too but RCBS's reloading equipment is consistently the best.

That's my opinion based on 25 years of reloading for over 30 different cartridges. Others may disagree.

LDBennett
Actually all of the volumetric powder measures have trouble with the fine spherical propellants gumming them up and falling out around the seams. My Lyman55 does it with H110 the worst. I had an RCBS that did it with ALL ball powders. And a Redding that gummed up with H380 and W748. They all do it, its not a problem that's LEE specific, no matter how much you want it to be LD. Its just the nature of the beast with fine sphericals. the only way around it is to hand weigh fine spherical powders, and save the volumetric chargers for bulkier spherical powders, wafer and stick propellants.

If its any constellation to you. I did not much care for the Lee perfect powder measure either. The dadgum hopper is too small. runs out of powder after only like 120 .308 loads. That was my only qualm with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the lee classic turret with pro disk powder measure the disk don't throw what the chart says but it does throw the same charge repeatedly so just find the right disk to get the results you want. The classic turret press is awesome for pistol. I use a rock chucker and charge master for rifle though.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I just ran 200 rounds and all were extremely consistent. I checked every 10th one.
put me down as a satisfied auto-disc owner. Now if only the pro 1000 it was attached to would seat primers I would be in business. I'm so frustrated I gave up and hand primed them then went through and ran them in to drop and seat/crimp. Only 900 more to go. Anyone want to help hand priming?
Get an Auto Prime 2 for a secondary single stage press and leave it set up. Makes hand priming so much easier.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get an Auto Prime 2 for a secondary single stage press and leave it set up. Makes hand priming so much easier.
neat tool, I didn't know they existed. I have the Auto Prime XR. 200 was bad enough. I dread the thought of another 900. off to Scheels I go

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I've run a bunch of different spherical powder through my Dillion powder measure and never had it leak or "gum up". Admittedly I don't use the extremely small spherical powders every day but have used them enough to know it is not a problem with the Dillion measure for me.

I also prefer to be able to dial the charge weight up or down while setting up my RL550B for a reloading session for several different cartridges one after another. Having to change the disk to get a few grains more powder is not my idea of convenience. I know, you can have an Auto Disk for each cartridge you reload for but I reload for 30 cartridges so that means 30 Auto Disks???

We all have different requirement for our personal reloading. We all have budgets that limit what we can afford to buy. But common sense and experience tells me that one durable, well made, reliable measure that is adjustable and handles even the small gained powder is the one to have for me. You get to choose what's right for you. I also have found over the years that, as with most everything, you get what you pay for. It works for me to buy a better measure and skip the cheapy stuff (unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way through buying many of the LEE products only to discard or sell them).

LDBennett

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've run a bunch of different spherical powder through my Dillion powder measure and never had it leak or "gum up". Admittedly I don't use the extremely small spherical powders every day but have used them enough to know it is not a problem with the Dillion measure for me.

I also prefer to be able to dial the charge weight up or down while setting up my RL550B for a reloading session for several different cartridges one after another. Having to change the disk to get a few grains more powder is not my idea of convenience. I know, you can have an Auto Disk for each cartridge you reload for but I reload for 30 cartridges so that means 30 Auto Disks???
Or you get the adjustable charge bar and dial in the charge you want just like the Dillon measure.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
RustyFN:

AH HA! This is new to me. It does appear to use the same design of the adjustable "disk" as Dillon uses. I also see they have an updated version called the PRO with some better features. I hope it is as good as the hype.

What is a little disturbing is they admit to the "leaking" and only claim it is significantly reduced, not eliminated.

Since I don't buy LEE stuff I don't keep up on their updates but this one may be significant. I had an original and the Perfect and liked neither of them. I use the Dillion measure on the RL550B except for a couple of cartridges which get powder from the Redding Competition BR-30 operated on the RL550B manually.

LDBennett

1 - 20 of 25 Posts