The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Lee Pro 20 lb bottom pour pot on EBay, paid about as much as a new one but I was intrigued by the adjustable aluminum and steel base and mold “table” the guy made for it.

Anyway I was playing around with it yesterday, pouring a lead weight (well fluxed ingots from clip on weights) for my son to use as a steering wheel weight for his “new” auto cross Miata (don’t ask) and decided to use the Lee for practice instead of dipping out of my Lyman...

It poured well, but VERY slowly, only a steady drip at first. I adjusted the rod until it streamed, but even then it was a SLOW stream. It was chilly outside and when I got to the end, it was hardening in a mound before spreading out level like it would have if I poured quickly from a ladle.

I’m concerned because it seems so slow, just if I was using a 6 cav mold, wouldn’t The first couple sprews be COMPLETELY hard before I got done with 5 or 6?

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
did you check to make sure the thermostat was set correctly, most of them are adjustable, you may have not had it hot enough!

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
I agree with everyone, sounds like a temperature and dirt problem. This is where either a lead thermometer or PID comes in really handy.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
I agree with everyone, sounds like a temperature and dirt problem. This is where either a lead thermometer or PID comes in really handy.
I agree. I'm still struggling to get by until I get a proper thermometer. It's basically a lot of guesswork without one. I have the Lyman one in my "cart".

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Too cold, and one thing I keep near my old beat up Lee is a pair of pliers with a small finishing nail. While the pot is hot, I'll hold the nail in the pliers and tap it up the spout with the wood "rod of encouragement", then tap it back out, and that usually cleans out the spout. Warm her up and flux the melt well.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
I've got the Lee bottom pour furnace. Bought after my old dipper furnace burned out. I miss the old furnace. Mine seems to have the occasional drip that is a PITA. Also, with the rod that runs thru the pot - it is much harder to flux. Dang rod is in the way. You have to work around it. PITA.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I have some good things to try when I fire it up again. I have a Lyman thermometer but I wasn’t using it because it was just a “shakedown cruise,” not casting bullets just trying it out casting lead in a can for a weight. When I fluxed it seemed plenty hot and fluid. Actually I think it might’ve been TOO hot because I cranked it all the way up because it was cold and kinda got sidetracked getting the mold ready and it was smoking when I got back out to it and fluxed it. The paraffin ignited immediately!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts