Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 76Highboy, Nov 17, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying this press. Who has one? If you do how do you like it. This is going to be one for my grandson to use so we can reload side by side. It seems stout, and affordable. I tried the Breech Lock Cast press but I do not want the breech lock. It was a nice press so I am assuming that the Classic Cast is too. I want to teach him how to break down the dies and reset them up each time, repetitiously so he knows how to do it all. IMO this is a great press but I want to see who has reloaded on it hands-on.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I bought one for a friend that was getting into reloading. Showed her how to use it. Only thing I did not like about it was how it got rid of the old primer. Fell down underneath the press. You opened the trap-door and cleaned it out, periodically.

Having learned on an RCBS, with the primer-catcher tray, I found this to be - crappy.

However, you could drill a hole in your bench, under the press, and put a bucket under there, and they'd just fall through the hole into the bucket. I think.

3. 76Highboy

Apparently the newer (maybe the older ones too) presses you can attach a clear tube to collect the primers by putting a stop in the bottom of the tube, or you can run the tube straight into a primer catch like a tub or a coffee can. I think that would be fine. i watched a youtube video on it and it seemed to work just fine.

4. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I thought the classic cast single stage had a hollow ram with a tube like the classic turret. The classic turret primer disposal works flawless.

5. 76Highboy

You are right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp-zqkjlqqY

50 seconds into the video he explains that the primer catch is connected to the bottom of the ram. Then the ram has a clear tube attached to it and there is a red cap on the end of the tube. The tube appears to be about 1/3 full with about 300 primers in it. That looks like a good primer catch system.

I think I will be ordering this press shortly.

6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I drilled 3/4" hole in the bench, and screwed a jar lid with a hole underneath. So I can just use a jar to catch my primers

7. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

Redding t-7 has the same setup but they come with the tube on them. I know you don't want to here it Highboy but somebody that loads as much as you do you should get a rockchucker. the power they have make tuff stuff a breeze, you can always paint it red. A friend of mine comes over to size all his bulged glock brass on mine.

8. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Jim,
    I have and use the one that you refer to. It works great and is built like a tank. Yes, the primers drop through the center of the ram into a tube underneath. Instead of the breach-lock it has a removable bushing in the top if you ever decide to load the really large calibers, including 50 cal.(which the ram is designed to remove about 2 inches of so you can load the big boys). The only problem I ever had was some primers trying to escape through the slot in the ram for the primming arm which is avoided by leaving the arm in place. The linkage is quite beefy, not like the aluminum links on the old challenger presses. For the small amount of $$$$ you spend, you get a press that will last a lifetime.

9. 76Highboy

I have an RCBS JR and it is an OK press. If I updated the handle for ten dollars it would be a little better. I am looking at the Lee because I would like to have a press that my grandson can learn on. When it gets here I am going to let him set it up and teach him from the ground up. I would buy the Rock Chucker but I don't ant to spend that amount of money. I have loaded on a Rock Chucker quite a bit and they are great presses. As for the color that does not matter to me.

Thanks oldgunfan.

10. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Jim,
    Since you have reloaded on a RC before, do us all a favor and give us an honest comparison of the Lee vs RCBS after you get it set up, would you.

11. 76Highboy

Honestly, I have heard a lot of people knocking the Lee equipment so that is another reason I want to compare. I am the kind of person that wants to know first hand so that is another reason I chose the Lee.

12. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

They are mostly knocking the progressives. You won't find many people that don't like the classic single stage and classic turret.

13. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'll mail you mine, and you can try it out

14. 76Highboy

Hey, send me a gun too.

15. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm serious, I have to build myself another bench before I can start reloading