The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it all set up and adjusted per the owner's manual. loading 9x19, 5.5gr of power pistol, and 124gr round nose fmj with CCI 500 primers.

the primer feed gets jammed with powder and causes the primers to feed wrong and occasionally get sideways. this has the pro auto disc measure

help please

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Its the fine ball propellant gumming up the works. Only fix is to switch to a flake propellant or charge the cases separately.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
I got it all set up and adjusted per the owner's manual. loading 9x19, 5.5gr of power pistol, and 124gr round nose fmj with CCI 500 primers.

the primer feed gets jammed with powder and causes the primers to feed wrong and occasionally get sideways. this has the pro auto disc measure

help please
Go to youtube and look around. I will look too. Hey, what are friends for?:D

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
you forgot the link Jim..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
youre supposed to be packaging my new redding scale up too. ;)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Im going to have to post link parsing instruction in your sig line Jim..

And yes the big boss comes with the scale.

:cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem but I had to learn the press. I also took the shell plate carrier off and cleaned and greased (very light) it. This helped a lot!. Why are you losing powder at the prime/charge station. I would guess because of filling case with powder with no primer. Make sure your handle is set to go straight up when shell plate carrier is all the way down or you may not be able to feel when the primer is seated! I had that problem but after changing handle position Now I know if the primer seated or not. After learning the press it works great!

·
TFFWPP President
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took poder measure apart lsat night for diagnosis and found lots of powder flakes on both sides of the rubber wiper thing. That caused it to get stuck and fold out of shape. I then cleaned everything with warm water. Today I will get some dry graphite lube and give it a decent slathering. I may also try the drier sheet trick as well to curb powder sticking as that may have caused the whole ordeal to begin with.

BTW, the powder I am using is Alliant Power Pistol which is a flaky flattened ball so to speak. It kind of looks like my Hodgdon Clays powder. Would I have less issues if I was to use a ball powder like Winchester 231? (easier to find a Leprachaun riding a unicorn while picking 4 leaf clovers)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
A workaround for that is to resize, prime, and expand in one session. Then drop powder and seat & crimp the bullet in another. I do that using the Hornady press and it eliminates a lot of the same problems you are having.

Sometimes powder will be bounced out of the case on the down stroke and collect around the primer punch. That eventually causes problems with jamming the press. Now I will size and prime several hundred to maybe a thousand cases at one time then go back and load at a later date. It saves me a lot of aggravation.

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
many of you are not going to agree with me, but I have 3 Lee presses
a Pro 1000 which I still use.

I have resorted to hand priming on all of them. It just works better that way.
The primer systems are just to finiky for me

I just hand prime the cases before hand and back out the depriming pin(I switched out my sizing die for an RCBS)

this way, the press runs much smoother and trouble free

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
many of you are not going to agree with me, but I have 3 Lee presses
a Pro 1000 which I still use.

I have resorted to hand priming on all of them. It just works better that way.
The primer systems are just to finiky for me

I just hand prime the cases before hand and back out the depriming pin(I switched out my sizing die for an RCBS)

this way, the press runs much smoother and trouble free
My Hornady Progressive runs primers as smooth as butter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem but I had to learn the press. I also took the shell plate carrier off and cleaned and greased (very light) it. This helped a lot!. Why are you losing powder at the prime/charge station. I would guess because of filling case with powder with no primer. Make sure your handle is set to go straight up when shell plate carrier is all the way down or you may not be able to feel when the primer is seated! I had that problem but after changing handle position Now I know if the primer seated or not. After learning the press it works great!
I removed the auto prime from both of my Lee 1000's along with the auto powder measure, also removed the case feed and now de-prime on a separate press, hand prime and use a Lee Powder measure to fill each case. I no longer have primer jams and squib loads.

Damn squib load cost me a thousand bucks. Brand new 686 S&W .357 tapped a second squib load out and the cylinder fell out into my hand, turns out the spring loaded pin that retains the cylinder was wedged behind the triger assy and getting it out was above my skill level. Off to the LGS and while the gunsmith was fixing the problem I spied a stainless 686 S with laser grips that I fell in love with, it cost me $965, the repair to my gun was $35, ergo 1k. Wife says I can't be trusted to go to LGS unsupervised.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.