The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. just now shooting my webleys and will be getting the 455 die set.

priced lee.. 32$ 3 die set, carbide insert. not bad..

priced rcbs.. 163$ 3 die set, non carbide.. use lube.

WTF?????

ok.. I know rcbs is a more quality die than lee.. but.. 5x the price.. really?

and the lee comes with a shell holder too.. that's a 5$ value. :)

163$ really? really?

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
First, and I know this will annoy many here, RCBS is not "more quality", it just costs more.

RCBS has their dies separated into groups. THIS group is "we sell a whole bunch of them" and sells for 40 bucks, while THAT group is "we don't sell a whole bunch of these, so they're special", and sells for 150 bucks.

It's the same business principle that explains where 410 shotshells, which use less than 1/3 of the components needed for 12 gauge shotshells, cost twice as much money. The same principle that says that Colt will charge more to letter a gun that was factory engraved, or was owned by somebody famous. Don't cost any more to look up the info, but they charge more.

The principle is called "all the market will bear".

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
I'd have to agree with ALPO in the "all the market will bear" theory.When I bought my 6.5 Rem Mag dies if I recall correctly they fell into "group D". So I paid "all the market would bear". Joe

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
then how come the lee die set is about the same price as any other lee die set i've ever priced.

I won't debate you on the quality issue. though my opinion differs.

with rcbs and lee equipment and lyman and ch equipment side by side onmy bench. rcbs is my favorite to use. lee is my favorite to purchase.

·
Registered
117 Posts
First, and I know this will annoy many here, RCBS is not "more quality", it just costs more. quote
Its the same when it come to bullet molds I prefer Lee not only because of price but they are made of aluminum and much lighter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Soundguy; Many years ago, someone observed that I appeared to shoot mainly to hear the noise. My Lee .455 Webley die set came with a sizing die marked "45 Colt." That's what it is and it works fine in a bunch of pistols. Be prepared to need several shell holders. RCBS steel dies size closer to the rim than Lee carbide dies. The Lee is OK in my pistols. Max

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Soundguy; Many years ago, someone observed that I appeared to shoot mainly to hear the noise. My Lee .455 Webley die set came with a sizing die marked "45 Colt." That's what it is and it works fine in a bunch of pistols. Be prepared to need several shell holders. RCBS steel dies size closer to the rim than Lee carbide dies. The Lee is OK in my pistols. Max
several shell holders? i'm not following?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts