Lefever Arms 12g

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by danmoss2002, Apr 22, 2009.

1. danmoss2002

danmoss2002 New Member

Hello,

My grandfather passed his lefever Arms 12g SxS to my father when he died, i was wondering if anyone on here can give give me any information about it.

e.g. How old it is or where i can go that may help

The markings on the barrels are 64011,

along with two crossed swords with the number 1 and the letters M and C

and BNP

On the breech there is the letters D and S stamped as well as the number 2

I should be able to provide pictures if needed

Thanks

2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Dan,

Your grandfathers Lefever Arms 12 gauge with serial number 64011 was made in Syracuse, NY (just down the road about 60 miles from me) probably around 1905 to 1910.

Lefever Arms in Syracuse made some of the better double barrel shotguns in the USA in about 7 or 8 different grades from plain field grades to very high grades. They started in the 1880's and continued to around 1915 when the Ithaca Gun Company purchased them and moved the operation from Syracuse to Ithaca, about 75 miles southwest of Syracuse. Ithaca continued to make the Syracuse style gun for a few years and then stopped making it. But in the late, 1920's, Ithaca came out with a Lefever double barrel shotgun called the "Lefever Nitro Special" but a far cry from the Syracuse style Lefevers.

The two crossed swords, BNP, etc. on your gun sound like they may be European proof marks. Perhaps it spent some of its life over there and then came back home.

The D and S marks I believe are the grade of the gun, a DS, and a DS would be called a Durston Special. The DS was the lowest grade Lefever made in Syracuse. Durston was an executive at Lefever.

If you'd like, send me a few pictures of the gun and maybe I can add some more detail about your gun. Or questions. Send them to me at: biljolliff(at)aol(dot)com

Meanwhile, take good care of the old girl.

Jolly