LeFever Arms Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jballz, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jballz

Jballz New Member

Gentlemen,

I have a LeFever Arms 20 gauge shotgun.

Patented 1872-88-90-94-1907

DS Grade
    S/N 65925

This gun is a wonderful little piece and appears to be in great shape. There are a few minor dings and wear marks in the stock, but zero rust and barrels are in impressively good condition.

I am interested in any info you would have on this gun. I am an avid upland hunter and have recently gained an appreciation for double guns. My biggest problem is lack of expertise. I'm interested in shooting this gun from time to time mostly in the grouse woods and only occasionally on the target range.

I hope enough info was provided to answer the following:

1. What year was it manufactured?
    2. Should I even shoot this gun, and if so, what type of loads should I be using?
    3. What is the value?

Thanks in advance.

Jballz

2. Jballz

Jballz New Member

I should have posted a couple of pictures, my apologies. Here they are. IMG_20140602_081128_522.jpg IMG_20140602_081145_723.jpg

3. Jballz

Jballz New Member

Here are 2 more.

Attached Files:

4. roundball

roundball Active Member

Had several DS Grade LeFever's redone thirty plus years ago. The DS was the field grade gun that lacked some of the features of the higher grades. One gun was a 16ga. and the other was a 12ga. and both were refurbished by LeFever Arms. LeFever Arms was run by family members and not connected with the original maker. The mechanism of the Syracuse Lefever is unique with few parts and take-up adjustments to keep the gun tight. Your gun appears to be in exceptionally fine condition. Would have the chamber length measured as many of these old guns were chambered for shorter shells. Do not confuse these guns with the later "Nitro Specials" made by Ithaca.