Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

lefever side by side help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by teamhhs, Jan 9, 2014.

1. teamhhs

teamhhs New Member

I have been trying for several years to find out the grade of my great great grandfathers lefever shotgun. It is is very good condition, no rust, little to no pitting in the barrel, Damascus barrel, all matching serial numbers, overall great condition.
    The serial number is C36726F. It has a bunch of fancy engraving with a woodcock on one side and a duck on the other. I believe the "f" in the serial number is the grade, but the "f" grades I looked at, do not look like this firearm.
    It appears to be 12 gauge, but isn't marked anywhere. It has a patent date of 1872.
    The stock is in great condition also with a few scratches.
    I will try and add pictures tomorrow, the mobile version will not allow me to add pictures.

2. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts Member

Team
    You should be able to find a local gun appraiser that can give you a honest apprasal on the gun. My cousin's live in back in New York does high end auctions and does appraisals on guns for people who want to have the proper value for insurance reasons. But he is well versed in gun values.

Nice shotgun, Are you going to keepit in the family? I see this is your first post on this forum. Some times went these nice old vintage guns get handed down to the next generation that person isn't in to gunsand sell them. Then there will be a gun nut in the next generation that would give their left nut for that gun or guns that Grand Pa or Great Grand Pa had but was sold.
    Personally I'd never sell something like this, I'd keep it and pass it along to a family member who would really appreciate it.

3. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Post the pics and we'll be able to help. Just keep in mind that with the Damascus barrels you can't use modern shotgun shells in it if you wish to test fire it.

Cheers,
    Will

4. teamhhs

teamhhs New Member

IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0751.jpg

IMAG0752.jpg

IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0754.jpg

I have taken to several gun shops, and gun smiths and they have no clue!
    It is something that was handed down from great grandpa, to grandpa, to dad, then me.
    Im old enough to know better than to try and shoot modern shells, besides my grandfather knocked it over one day and put a very small dent in the barrel. The dent actually shows inside of the barrel. Ive called many gunsmiths who refuse to even try and fix the dent.
    Just trying to figure out the grade just to see what it is worth. I have not seen another one like it!

5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Competent gunsmith can remove the dent with no problem.
    I once removed one from an LC Smith (Can't do much nowdays)
    Try Jack First in Rapid City SD

6. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

Lefever didn't mark gun gauge/bore size on their guns, but it's a standard "F" Grade manual extractor gun; and with shells properly loaded to 1900 era pressures, the gun can still be safely hunted/fired assuming the barrels remain in sound condition. Do a web search for the Lefever Collectors Association, and the gentlemen there will tell you everything that is known about the Lefever Arms Company and the gun you have.