The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was making a family recipe from leftover mashed potatoes and thought I’d throw this out there. So anyone do anything special with theirs? Been eating this stuff my whole life, they always called it Southern Style Potato Salad. Mix in some mayo with the cold mashed potatoes until it starts getting creamy then add a red wine vinegar till it’s a bit tart. Throw in some chopped green onion to your liking and there ya go. Always made it and French Dip sandwiches with the leftovers from a beef roast.
E80B0DC8-C561-40B7-BAC4-35136A2B3B61.jpeg

·
Registered
268 Posts
LEFTOVER mashed potatoes? Sorry- I don't understand what that means???

Just kidding. Beat an egg, stir into the potatoes. Make a patty, dust both sides with flour, slip into hot shortening 1/4 inch deep, fry until crisp, turn over and do the other.

·
Super Moderator
28,989 Posts

Just kidding. Beat an egg, stir into the potatoes. Make a patty, dust both sides with flour, slip into hot shortening 1/4 inch deep, fry until crisp, turn over and do the other.
This right here ^^^^^

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
My Mom used to put them on top of a dish she called Shepard's Pie before she baked it. Us kids called it hog slop, but it tasted good, we always liked it when she made it and so did any of our friends if the ate dinner with us when she made it. It consisted of browned ground beef, tomato paste and canned vegies like corn, peas & carrots and green beans topped with mashed taters and baked until the taters just started to turn brown on top. Dang it man, now I'm going to have to call my mom and get the recipe for it. :)

·
11,742 Posts

Then jam it between two slices of wheat bread and enjoy.

·
11,742 Posts
I take the left over mashed taters and put them in a small saucepan, heat them, add a shot of milk to them, and eat them when they get warm enough. Just mashed taters!
Put a little cheese on there too.

My Mom used to put them on top of a dish she called Shepard's Pie before she baked it. Us kids called it hog slop, but it tasted good, we always liked it when she made it and so did any of our friends if the ate dinner with us when she made it. It consisted of browned ground beef, tomato paste and canned vegies like corn, peas & carrots and green beans topped with mashed taters and baked until the taters just started to turn brown on top. Dang it man, now I'm going to have to call my mom and get the recipe for it. :)
GOOGLE IT?!!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you like Shepherd's Pie (in Britain, made with lamb- Shepherd, y'know?) Make your mashed taters. Thin slice onion, saute in oil for a few minutes, Take ground beef, saute, add a bit of rosemary of you like that. Drain grease, mix with a small can of tomato paste 1/4 cup of wine (be sure to taste wine for quality control). Take a couple of cans of Veg-All mixed veggies, drain, Put in bottom of casserole, cover with beef mixture, cover with mashed taters. Bake at 350 until top of potatoes starts to brown.

Yeah. my wife was English.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
One could say my family is of German, (Prussian, actually. Which explains for my Teutonic sense of order and warlike attitude.... 😁) Potato pancakes at our house, with some onions and green peppers mixed in....and of course it has to be fried in bacon grease.

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not for sure if latkas and potato pancakes are the same. My mom would grate the potatoes, then squeeze all the moisture out she could. Add onions and an egg or two then flour and fry. Darn good things. She’s make them with a baked brisket (not like you guys are familiar with) homemade applesauce.

·
Super Moderator
28,989 Posts
Not for sure if latkas and potato pancakes are the same. My mom would grate the potatoes, then squeeze all the moisture out she could. Add onions and an egg or two then flour and fry. Darn good things. She’s make them with a baked brisket (not like you guys are familiar with) homemade applesauce.
Latkas are definitely different than potato pancakes.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
If there are any left, it is pancakes for breakfast the next morning. My dad would use mashed taters to make potato salad. Used mustard, diced up hard boiled eggs, diced pickles, salt, and pepper.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If we have leftover mashed potatoes, which is rare, I make potato pancakes. Add an egg and whatever spices and such, heat up a cast iron skillet and fry them in a little oil(or bacon grease). I usually add a little garlic and usually add a little cheddar cheese. My wife loves them and will usually make more mashed potatoes just so I will make her some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts