The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived safely! A Doc White, in the white kit gun. I've already started by inletting the barrel channel larger and then proceeded to bed the tang and barrel for a nice weather resistant sealed fit. Any tiny little wood splinters, I shaved or sanded away before bedding it. By the time its fully bedded, It'll be from the tang, all the way to the nose cap.

This gun uses an Austin & Helleck .50cal barrel with 1:66 twist. Maple stock is gorgeous! A lot of wood removal at the butt end of the stock, but that's a good problem to have. The lock panel will also need quite a bit of wood removed.

The pewter nose cap needed a lot of filing inside of the barrel channel. I got it close to flush with the wood, but that wasn't really needed as I was bedding the rifle anyway.

Just some shots I took today of the rifle. I'll post more as the build goes on.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
It's looking good, I'd rather have the inlets too tight and the outsides too big than the other way 'round. Did you do the pour on the nose cap or was it pre formed?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
I'll enjoy watching the progress, I've built dozens of rifles from 90% stocks and band sawn planks, I used to do it as a profession, but alas, a stroke put an end to having that kind of fun. For me the final finish was always my favorite part of the build, that was when all the work paid off and you got to see the beauty God put into the plank you were working on. :)

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Yes sir, lookin' forward to this one!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Looks like the making of a beauty.
Impressed by the neat organized work bench.
A place for everything and everything in it’s place.
That’s drilled into my head by my Dad and the Navy SeeBees!! All our connex boxes with our equipment had to be where, for your trade, you had to have EVERYTHING in the same place so you could go in one anywhere in the world and know exactly what you needed was “right there”.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,210 Posts
That has the looks of an excellent job. I'm sure it will look great when you're finished. I too look forward to seeing the project as it goes on.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Reactions: crystalphoto

·
Super Moderator
28,989 Posts
That looks great so far. Waiting to see the finished product.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Sooner, buy a rifle in the white, all of the technical stuff is done and mostly what you will need to do is the final finish work.
Like I keep saying I'm going to do again..... :whistle:

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is the barrel length on your rifle? It looks short but that may just be the perspective of the photos.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I keep getting the urge . One of these days I will do it . Maybe this winter when I will be stuck inside a lot . I started looking at kits again . Dang it , that's all I need is another project !!!!!!
Sooner, buy a rifle in the white, all of the technical stuff is done and mostly what you will need to do is the final finish work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts