The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Winchester model 70 XTR Featherweight chambered in .257 Roberts AI. The spacer in the magazine box pretty much limits the OAL to SAAMI specs, creating a big jump to the lands with higher BC bullets. If I wanted to have the rifle feed a longer OAL, could I just replace the magazine box with one for a 7x57 and replace the bolt stop?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Welcome to TFF, Jim. I've owned a couple of Model 70s - one a 1948 and my other a 1974. The older one (I bought the complete action to build a hunting rifle) came set up for .308 Win. I built a '30-06 out of it with a 1948 stock and barrel chambered in '06. The original mag box was set up for shorter cartridges - so all I did was replace the mag set up, and the longer mag set up did the trick.

Hope this helps. I don't think you will have any problems in converting to anything that approximates 30-06 length. I think what you are asking is not about stretching the action - just wanting a longer mag box for longer ammunition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original mag box was set up for shorter cartridges - so all I did was replace the mag set up, and the longer mag set up did the trick.
Thanks for the welcome, Jim! So you don't think I will need a different bolt stop so the bolt can slide back farther to grab the cartridge?

Jim

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Jim, the bolts all stop at the same place, so no worries there.
On the mag box, Can the spacer be shortened or even removed? If so you may have to replace the follower too. Everything I find for the 7x57 mag box says for 7x57 & .257R.
Winchester was all over the place with the post 64 models, push feed, control feed, control push feed. Then you have 3 action lengths, Short, Standard, and Ultra short. Just to mix all that up some more, they chambered Short action cartridges, in Standard length actions.
I'm guessing yours is controlled feed?
With a spacer, possibly a Standard length action?

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
The rifle I built was a standard length 'Pre '64'. I didn't have to do anything to the bolt stop. The other Model 70 was a later 'push feed'. I think you won't have any problems finding parts to convert the mag to regular length cartridges.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I got 7x57 magazine box...a couple strokes with a file got me a perfect fix. Now, the original bolt stop made the bolt stop at the original spacer. So I measured the difference between the two spacers and cut that much of the spacer with a hacksaw. Took my dremel to the cut end and ground it smooth and to the same shape as the original. Bolt now slides back to just behind the new spacer. Loaded the magazine with "dummy" cartridges. Cycles perfectly working the bolt at any speed. Couldn't believe how easy and straightforward this was...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts