The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the recent "Emergency" we all have seen that we couldn't find any .22 LR, 9mm, .223, or .308 when everybody "panicked" and started buying thousands of rounds when they had never bought more than 100 at a time....

While it MAY be "loosening up", since I am now again starting to see cheap .22 and .223 ammo, and even bought 2 50 rd boxes of 9mm for my son for $14.99 each at Cabela's in South Dakota 2 weeks ago....when he was paying twice that if he was lucky two weeks before....

Did you notice?

While NOBODY had .22 LR, or .223 of any kind, or 9mm...and .308 was SHORT....

Even WALLY World had .17 HMR, at NORMAL pricing....

And EVERY gunshop had the "wierd" stuff, even 7.62x54, at maybe a little higher price but available....

During all the hubbab I even managed to find my Vice-President who had the Artisaka his Father brought back from Okinawa reworked and now wanted to fire it, a box of Hornady custom 6.5 Jap and a couple of more boxes of fmj reloads at about what they cost BEFORE the "Emergency...."

I even saw .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, 6mm Reminton, .243, and even .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .45-70 among others....at prices maybe just a LITTLE higher than normal...

I WONDER.....maybe you will have a better chance of FINDING the WIERD ammo to shoot during the coming economic crisis.....than what we were taught to OWN...

...and use all your .22, 9mm, and .223 for BARTER or even "Legal Tender" with all the other people that bought into the "Own a .22, 9mm and .223 so you will always have ammo" myth.....

The only thing that comforts me is even at the height of the "Crisis," EVERYBODY had 12 guage ammo even if it was a little more expensive....

And I know I have learned over the past 12 months or so I would have made more money investing in .22LR "Golden Bullets" buying low and selling high than I would have done with actual GOLD....

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sad... I bought my first gun almost two years ago, a bolt action .223. I wanted an SKS but my dad said the 223 would be a more "mature" choice. While I did buy about 500 rounds while it was cheap, now I can't find any and almost out. Yet I see plenty of Russian surplus 762x39.

Also got my buddies into shooting, they got .22s but can't get any ammo.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alb, the .223 will perform much better for you than any SKS ever will....bottom line 3 inches at 100 with any 7.62x39 is GREAT while "just"an inch at 100 with the .223 Bolt gun means you have some work to do to to figure out why it is so "inaccurate" :cool::p

...but having said that, you will NEVER "blast away" with the .223 as much as you would with cheap Wolf x39 so you have just proved why ONE rifle is not ENOUGH...:D:D:D

YES I have highly accurate .223 and a .220 Swift Varmint guns....as well as a Rock River Tactical AR.....that will STILL outshoot any AK or SKS.....

But I make sure I have at least ONE x39 shooter around....(Currently a Yugo SKS)

Pretty reliable for 3-6 " at 100 from a bench, with open sights...and I always make sure I have at least 100 or so rounds around at any given time.....;)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, the "oddball" stuff seemed to be available on the shelf too for most of the panic buying. Prices got boosted on those too in my area right up there with the sought-after stuff.
That's why I really enjoyed my off-the-wall taste in cartridges recently! :D 6.5Swede, 7x57, .25-06, .257Roberts, etc...almost always had some of that stuff on the shelf.
The .204 was decent too until one of the local chain stores got a big pile of .204 Ruger AR uppers and sold em to the guys who couldn't get .223/5.56 anymore. After that, they got scarce too.

I wasn't buying too much loaded ammo except for pistol stuff (9mm, .45ACP, .38/.357, etc)...most of my rifle stuff is handloads.
Reloading goodies are still in short supply here in ND...depending on what shops/stores you visit. I've always had better luck getting components from the little LGS as opposed to the big chain stores. Sometimes I had to wait quite a while but I was able to get small quantities of what I need...I didn't got nuts and buy the whole stock. I left some for my fellow shooters too.

The best thing I did see during this last round of panic is one of our local gun shop owners started selling .22 rimfire ammo to NRA members only.
You showed him your membership card and he'd have a box for ya. He still had to limit quantities but at least he almost always had some on the shelf if you needed it.
It turned out to be a good recruiting tool for the NRA too. He had quite a few folks sign up just for the .22 ammo availability. Hopefully they stick with it if things ever settle back to normal again.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Binder, that is the first I heard of that. We need MORE shops to do that!

Yeah, I had a heckuva time getting just bullets to reload for my rifles for P-dogs this year, while I managed through the use of alerts to my wife's phone to order and get 500 50 gr Vmaxs I shoot from my Swift from Midway, even though from the time she got the alert to when I completed the order was less than 30 minutes, they were sold out/no backorder IMMEDIATELY after I placed my order...

...it was a BEAR working up a load for my new rifle...didn't want to invest into more than 100 bullets until I was sure it would shoot them, then when I found a bullet and load that would shoot nobody had any more so I had to try another type they DID have....as it was I went to South Dakota with a bunch of different loads that it liked, I had like 193 of one, 74 of another, 29 of a third...and had to resight it when I switched....:cool: only because I could not FIND enough of the .224 bullets it REALLY liked to make them all the same...

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Yes,12 gauge and 20 gauge were available everywhere.The chain store all had 25-06,270,300winchester,243,7mm Remington mag.Once the 22lr ,9mm,223,308 dried up the 22 mag.was next then the.17HMR was the last to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I learned that it was good to ignore the "naysayers" who always asked, "why do you need so much ammo?" Remember, stack it high and stack it deep!

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
Still not much in ammo around here. Even shotgun target loads have been hard to find.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
shotgun target loads and a few wildcat loads ( 6.8spc 7mmrem mag ) are about the only thing i can find locallt.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Not finding much around here either, and I'm looking. Even the odd ball stuff has disapeared! I find a few shotgun shells from time to time, but not much else. Everything is limited to 3 boxes, or even only 1 box at a time, if you should stumble on to something. I haven't bought any pistol rounds, of any caliber, since last year. I have seen a few boxes on the shelves from time to time, but not the right bullet. What I have learned is that I'm glad I reload, I'm glad that I cast bullets, I'm glad that I saw all this coming, and am prepared to wait it out in style! And I am reasonably convienced that hording is not the problem. You can't hord it if you can't find it!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like its better here than a lot if places. Most of the comminly sought after stuff is sporatic, and timing is key, but it all shows up. And most all normal hunting ammo is always in stock. What have i learned from this last round? That some people are very greedy (price gougers), and alot of people 'panic buy' when they finally realize that no ammo makes a gun a club. For several years, i have bought ammo (and loading supplies) whenever the opportunity shows itself. I am not a hoarder, but i do not have any unusable guns due to no ammo. I dont get to shoot as much as i used to, but thats the trade off.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Sounds like its better here than a lot if places. Most of the comminly sought after stuff is sporatic, and timing is key, but it all shows up. And most all normal hunting ammo is always in stock. What have i learned from this last round? That some people are very greedy (price gougers), and alot of people 'panic buy' when they finally realize that no ammo makes a gun a club. For several years, i have bought ammo (and loading supplies) whenever the opportunity shows itself. I am not a hoarder, but i do not have any unusable guns due to no ammo. I dont get to shoot as much as i used to, but thats the trade off.
We can find small amounts of ammo here, but you had better be first in line at any store when the truck pulls in, and you might not know when the truck is coming, or even if there is anything on it!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
went to Academy, Didn't find any 9mm or 22. But they had 40sw, 45, 45 colt. lots of shotgun ammo, 32 auto. also some other calibers which the old brain cant remember. It looks like you have to find out their delivery days and be there when the store opens.

·
Registered
751 Posts
been shooting my big stuff more as primers and powder have been able to find and i cast all my own bullets,, BUTT the grandkids sure are getting pixxd as a couple of them aint big enough yet for the larger calibers :( :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lessons we may have learned from the recent ammo shortages.....
I knew they lesson but I'll share it for those new to the real world.

It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

since 1999 I've reduced down to a few common calibers in which I've been stacking deep since 2000.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
I have a pretty good supply now as I have picked up whatever I could find. I have limited my range time to maintain my supply. I hope this ends soon as I would love to start going to the range again.

I have been going to the shotgun range a lot as I have been able to get shotgun shells but now they have been harder to find.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts