The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know everybody has one...post em up. I dont care if there new,old, beat up, worn out....Old worn out knives have a story to tell, and since they cant talk, its up to you. Nothing special about mine, other than it was Grandma's. She used it in the garden for many years, and always kept it in her purse. When she passed away, it was the one thing of hers i wanted....Lots of childhood memories in that garden with her, and today would have been her birthday.....

Attachments

· Registered
9,533 Posts
I'd post a picture of mine, but our camera that works to download (upload?) pictures is long ago packed away - lost to the 'nether reigions.

My Buck 110 is old, and works everyday on my farm. To give you and idea, I broke off the very tip - maybe 14th inch - and re-shaped the blade. Then, after many years of sharpening, the blade is now about 1/2 inch total shorter than when it was new.

I carry mine everywhere. Still in the same old Buck leather belt sheath. Don't feel dressed without it. I even used it extensively when I built our house here. They are extremely well made and handy for countless tasks.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
This one was bought back in 1974 in CA, while I was stationed at Castle AFB. It has been sprung so that it will open with the flick of the wrist, and is razor sharp!

Attachments

· Banned
5,425 Posts
I have knives that have stories to tell, but I don't have, and never have had, a Buck 110.

I carry a Leatherman on my belt at all times.

· Registered
5,963 Posts
I'll have to share the pic with a few others, but I bought this one back in
the early "90's" as a replacement to the one I had.
The one it replaced, I was using during deer gun season and left it by
mistake where me and a few others had our deer handing.

I got home that night and found I didnt have my 110 and went back the next
morning and it was gone. One of the guys I was hunting with, I didnt
know all that well and the @##%^&* stole it.
He happened to be the only one that stopped by that morning to
"check on our deer".:mad:
But anyway, I'd had the 1st one for over 15yrs, so this one replaced it.

Attachments

· Registered
105 Posts
Here's mine- in 1979 and 80 I was a tank commander with 3/7 Cavalry in Schweinfurt Germany (we had M60A1s). We did our gunnery qualification in Grafenwohr and the Regimental commander sponsored a prize each year for 'top gun' out of the 36 tanks- traditionally a beer stein or similar.
After my tank took the honors two years running, the CO had these engraved and the regimental crest attached to the sheath. All four of us in the crew got one- pretty classy! And you can see I've carried it since...
I replaced the stitching with leather lace when the stitching started to fail.. now the lace is going and I'll re-do it one of these years!

Attachments

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's mine- in 1979 and 80 I was a tank commander with 3/7 Cavalry in Schweinfurt Germany (we had M60A1s). We did our gunnery qualification in Grafenwohr and the Regimental commander sponsored a prize each year for 'top gun' out of the 36 tanks- traditionally a beer stein or similar.
After my tank took the honors two years running, the CO had these engraved and the regimental crest attached to the sheath. All four of us in the crew got one- pretty classy! And you can see I've carried it since...
I replaced the stitching with leather lace when the stitching started to fail.. now the lace is going and I'll re-do it one of these years!
That is a really cool knife, with a great story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.....

· Registered
102 Posts

Sorry, didn't feel like giving her a bath before the photo-op.

My parents gave this knife to me just before my 12th birthday. I broke the tip off when I was 16 or 17, and sent it to Buck to be replaced. I imagine they probably just sent out a new knife, but I tell myself they just replaced the blade. Not too long after that I managed to bust the tip off again. Yes, I was young and dumb, and I've always abused knives. On the other hand, once I was out of school I carried it in the original leather holster daily for the last 17 years or so and it's held up pretty darn good.

My wife bought me a 100th anniversary version several years ago. While I have no problem with, and have used it several times, I pretty much put it away to replace this one if something God forbid, ever happens to it. However, I suspect as long as I never manage to lose it this one will last me a lifetime. :)

· Registered
102 Posts
Jboy, I don't know. I do know that for years a new Buck 110 would run you about $70, but for the last year or so I've noticed most places have dropped them to about $35. I suspect Buck may be dropping the model, maybe.

Also, they used to come with a Bible verse in the box, but the last Buck I got (not a folder) didn't. It was also made in China. :0

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
My knife opens like this one, except it doesn't have the top edge modified to open on the pants. It doesn't look as nice either:

· Registered
77 Posts
Jesse, I had been told that years ago the retail price was about 2x the price the retailer bought the Buck for. Perhaps the decline in price reflects price pressure from discount retailers.

Buck opened a plant in China to get cheaper knives to sell after pressure from major retailers. Might be good products, but I'll try to buy American. I understand the 110 is still made here, but the sheath might be foreign.

· Registered
79 Posts
I have a 110 but no pics of it. I do have pics of this one. Its a Buck 120 "General" I bought it new in about 1982 at a gun show for $30. Its never been used or sharpened. I do have the sheath, box and wrapper as shown.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I have a 110 but no pics of it. I do have pics of this one. Its a Buck 120 "General" I bought it new in about 1982 at a gun show for $30. Its never been used or sharpened. I do have the sheath, box and wrapper as shown.

Welcome to the forum! I have one of those too! Great knife!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.