Lets stop this one folks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

BGH228
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/16/01 7:16:46 pm)
    | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Lets stop this one folks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just got this email HOAX

Hi, my name is Amy Bruce. I am 7 years old,and I havesevere lung cancer from second hand smoke. I also have a large tumor in my brain, from repeated beatings. The doctors say I will die soon if this isn't fixed,
    and my family can't pay the bills. The Make A Wish foundation, has agreed to donate 7 cents for every name on this list.For those of you who send this long, I thank you so much, but for those who don't send it, what goes around comes around. Have a Heart, please send this.Please, if you are a kind person, send this on. PLEASE HIT FORWARD BUTTON "NOT REPLY BUTTON"....
    thank you!!!!

Synopsis Amy Bruce, a seven year old suffering from cancer, will receive 7 cents from the Make A Wish Foundation for each email forwarded.

Is it true? No. It is a hoax.
    Why? The Make A Wish Foundation disavows any connection with the email.
    Forwarded email can't be tracked.

When? September 1999
    Comments Email forwarding hoaxes that play on our greed and gullibility are somewhat understandable. But what is the point of the email forwarding hoaxes that play on our compassion and altruism? They cause us to be so jaded that when a novel charity like the Hunger Site comes along that we assume it is a hoax or scam.

Why shouldn't you forward these emails? They may take away support from legitimate charities because people may believe that they have already 'given at the office' by forwarding an email hoax. At worst they may cause charities to devote time and money answering queries and attempting to staunch hoaxes that could be better devoted to doing charitable work.

So, why shouldn't you forward these email pleas? Forwarding email is no substitute for supporting legitimate charities.
    If you do, your friends who know these are hoaxes will think you are a credulous newbie.
    Conserve precious network bandwidth.

heres soem more info with other links proving this is a Hoax
    www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/amybruce.html

My Links: Hunter's HideoutSportsman's ParadiseNitro's Bulletin BoardThe Firearms ForumVIETNAM MEMORIES BULLETIN BOARDOutdoor-Sportsman

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/16/01 7:30:44 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Lets stop this one folks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That stuff sure pulls at the ole heart strings... Some people are truely sick! Take MM'sS lol

ZigZag2

warpig883
    (12/16/01 8:29:21 pm)
    Even if it was true I have boycotted Make a Wish since they adapted a anti hunting and anti hunting political agenda.
    God and the soldier all men adore. In times of trouble and no more. For when war is over and all things righted, God is neglected and the soldier slighted. *Carved on a stone sentry box on Gibraltar

ElmersFudd
    (12/16/01 9:35:16 pm)
    check this out too...usually very up to date

hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

Bob In St Louis
    (12/16/01 9:45:48 pm)
    The one I am sick of seeing is a stupid chain e-mail thing for Cracker Barrel restaurants. Whenever I receive one of those stupid chain e-mails from someone, I immediately e-mail them back and tell them they are an incredibly stupid SOB, and never e-mail me that crap again.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/16/01 10:17:54 pm)
    THANKS A LOT BGH:
    How did they know about your posting crudentials?
    Charlie D

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/16/01 10:21:36 pm)
    ZigZag2 yer empty brass is coverin Warpig883 UP!
    Charlie D
    Whut izat? 30.06?

gpostal
    (12/16/01 11:37:31 pm)
    I say track it back to Amy and have her parents arrested for child abuse ,if it where true

Zigzag2
    (12/17/01 9:14:25 am)
    O O P P S S S I just got that durn Cracker Barrel thingie this mornin'. And here I was settin' back waitin' on my $50.00 check to arrive!

ZigZag2

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/17/01 9:16:23 am)
    I got my fill of the tremendous quantity of TRASH that was forwarded to me each day by unthinking acquaintances (and others), and I took personal action to stop it.

I set my email program up so that all messages that have been "forwarded" to me will be deleted from my ISP server without ever being seen by me.

Anyone who wishes for me to see anything should care enough about me to "Send The Very Best", i.e., an original message. If nothing else, then copy, paste, and then send.

If one does not think that I am worth this modicum of effort, then I really do not care to see their offerings...

Edited by: NeoDebo at: 12/17/01 9:22:49 am

Zigzag2
    (12/17/01 9:20:55 am)
    that's a great idea Neo...I'm off to see if I can set my mail preferences up that way too!

ZigZag2

Grunt
    (12/17/01 8:37:56 pm)
    THE "FORWARDER'S" 12 STEP PROGRAM - EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME ...

1) I will NOT get bad luck, lose my friends, or lose my mailing lists if I DON'T forward an email!

2) I will NOT hear any music or see a taco dog, if I do forward an e-mail.

3) Bill Gates is NOT going to send me money, and Victoria Secret doesn't know anything about a gift certificate they're supposed to send me.

4) Ford will NOT give me a 50% discount even if I forward my e-mail to more than 50 people!

5) I will NEVER receive gift certificates, coupons, or freebies from Coca Cola, Cracker Barrel, Old Navy, or anyone else if I send an e-mail to 10 people.

6) I will NEVER see a pop-up window if I forward an e-mail ... NEVER--NEVER!!

7) There is NO SUCH THING as an e-mail tracking program, and I am not STUPID enough to think that someone will send me $100 for forwarding an e-mail to 10 or more people!

There is NO kid with cancer through the Make-a-Wish program in England collecting anything! He did when he was 7 years old. He is now cancer free and 35 years old and DOESN'T WANT ANY MORE POST CARDS, or GET- WELL CARDS.

9) The government does not have a bill in Congress called 901B (or whatever they named it this week) that, if passed, will enable them to charge us 5 cents for every e-mail we send.

10) There will be NO cool dancing, singing, waving, colorful flowers, characters, or program that I will receive immediately after I forward an e-mail. NONE, ZIP, ZERO,NADA !!

11) The American Red Cross will NOT donate 50 cents to certain individual dying of some never-heard-of disease for every e-mail address I send this to. The American Red Cross RECEIVES donations.

12) And finally, I WILL NOT let others guilt me into sending things by
    telling me I am not their friend or that I don't believe in Jesus Christ. If God wants to send me a
    message, I believe the bushes in my yard will burn before He picks up a PC to pass it on! God generally
    doesn't communicate through a PC anyway!!

Now, repeat this to yourself until you have it memorized, and send it along to at least 5 of your friends before the next full moon or you will surely be constipated for the next three months and all of your hair will fall out!

gpostal
    (12/17/01 8:45:13 pm)
    I would love to put a filter on my email like that ,but there are sometimes cc addresses that I want ,if tac sends the mods a email he does it this way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.