The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my levers, also I saw his video I think he was using open sights for tightly wooded area's if I remember correctly. Personally, all my rifles are scoped except my flintlock.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So basically, you're all saying I really need a lever action rifle. And another gun after that.
Not saying you "need" another gun but everybody should have a lever action 30-30. If you're shooting deer at 100 yards or less an open sighted 30-30 will do an excellent job. If you practice with it you can stretch it out a little more.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I do not Hunt, But I can always justify (in my own mind) another Gun in my safe if it happens to be another Lever gun then so be it. When I go to the range to hunt that bullseye on paper it is worth it to me. I have a friend who does hunt both deer and Elk every year and his only long gun is a Lever action 30-30. he fills his freezer every year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lots of great info in the above posts!
Think about a 44mag lever gun. For 50 yards and under it's great and holds something like 15 rounds. I had one when I was younger and killed a bunch of deer and bear with it. Short, light, fast handling and hits like Thor's hammer.
Kinda got myself wanting one again.......

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I have never shot a deer, but I am determined to do it eventually. I finally picked up a dedicated deer gun: a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The other day, I saw Paul Harrell talking about deer guns, and he seemed to feel it was a good idea to have a lever action with iron sights for short-range deer hunting. Is it really a big disadvantage to have a scoped bolt gun when you're close to a deer? My scope will go down to 2.5, but that's the bottom.

It would be just terrible if I had to buy another gun. 🙄

It looks like a lot of people use the .45-70 for this kind of thing.
Paul Harrell is in the Top 3 of my favorite youtubers.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
A lever rifle is like a 1911, everyone should own one. Scopes do not belong on a lever rifle in my opinion. A good, old Lyman or Redfield aperture sight or Marbles or Lyman tang sight with a dull, gold bead is appropriate. I've killed a lot more deer, hogs, coyotes and everything else with rifles equipped with open and iron sights than I have with rifles equipped with scopes....from Virginia to Wyoming. But I prefer a good set of aperture sights to a scope and shoot them and open sights A LOT. I have to, I no longer own a scoped rifle.

I have no idea who Paul Harrel is.
Paul Harrel has a you tube channel often doing comparesons of firearms and ammo. and is very knowledgeable, check him out.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
The 30-30 has killed more deer in North America than any other rifle - just sayin. I guess I'm not a total purist, I mounted a rail and holographic on mine. Lots of really good ammo available in that calibre now, from 125gr hollow points to 170gr and even larger. Flat point, mostly lead, so lots of energy is expended into the critter. Speer said I could load 100gr round points, so varmints beware.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I use my Mosin Nagant M44..7.62x54r. I bought alsmost 20 years ago for $49.99 on sale a week before deer season. it has iron sights and a folding bayonet. most of what ill be shooting at is at less then 100 yds. with most the shots being at less then 50yds. Its good for pretty much anything walking in north America, just change the bullet weight. I thing the 30-30 lever gun is just viewed as a short range brush gun deer rifle. and oftem just gets a bad rap.. kinda like a Hi-point pistol.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
BTW, I have a revolver in. 357 also.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
A lever rifle is like a 1911, everyone should own one. Scopes do not belong on a lever rifle in my opinion. A good, old Lyman or Redfield aperture sight or Marbles or Lyman tang sight with a dull, gold bead is appropriate. I've killed a lot more deer, hogs, coyotes and everything else with rifles equipped with open and iron sights than I have with rifles equipped with scopes....from Virginia to Wyoming. But I prefer a good set of aperture sights to a scope and shoot them and open sights A LOT. I have to, I no longer own a scoped rifle.

I have no idea who Paul Harrel is.
Paul Harrel is a self-proclaimed firearms expert on YouTube.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I thing the 30-30 lever gun is just viewed as a short range brush gun deer rifle. and oftem just gets a bad rap.. kinda like a Hi-point pistol.
I don't think I've ever seen anybody give a 30-30 a bad rap. I certainly wouldn't compare them to a Hi Point. With open sights it's good for about 150 yards. Put a scope on it(Heaven forbid)and you can extend it to 200+ yards. It doesn't have the best terminal ballistics out past 200 but it will get the job done. As far as the ranges most of them are used for IMO it can't be beat. I've killed a lot of deer with a top eject Winchester 94.

·
GUNZILLA
6,010 Posts
I always take my lever gun and bolt gun deer hunting. Having these two rifles affords me the ability to hunt where ever I choose to in West Texas and depending on the landscape sometimes the bolt rifle with a scope is not an option. The lever gun on the other hand will be the best option where fast acquisition is required because of mesquite and brush. My style of hunting is stalking and walking and have never hunted from a blind and I can walk miles up and down ravines, canyons and so forth and my 30-30 or 35 Remington have served me well. I've taken dozens of buck and does with my lever action rifles whereas if I had had my rifled scope those deer might have gotten away by the time I would have been able to find then on my scope. Open sights are the best, you see the deer and just bring the rifle up to your line of sight and shoot.

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
Paul Harrel is a self-proclaimed firearms expert on YouTube.
Kinda what I figured. Given what he said about lever rifles.....wow....I am.....decidedly unimpressed. I knew that 50 years ago as do most with more than one year of experience, 20 times.

Hawg, according to the "experts" from 30-40 years ago the good ol' 30 WCF could barely make it TO 100 yards. It, the cartridge, had about a decade's worth of those ignorant of its capabilities.

Reactions: Hawg and ms6852

·
GUNZILLA
6,010 Posts
Kinda what I figured. Given what he said about lever rifles.....wow....I am.....decidedly unimpressed. I knew that 50 years ago as do most with more than one year of experience, 20 times.

Hawg, according to the "experts" from 30-40 years ago the good ol' 30 WCF could barely make it TO 100 yards. It, the cartridge, had about a decade's worth of those ignorant of its capabilities.
I wonder if that is why people feel the need to use a 300 magnum on deer. Not bashing just wondering. Heck I use 30-06 all the time but that was what I grew up shooting since I was ten, and I can loaded it down and have shot my biggest deer with a 125 grainer. But on the other hand I did take an elk a good size cow with my 35 Remington . I've taken deer easily over 150 yards with 30-30 too so I don't know where people get their facts from.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yeah well I grew up before the internet was even a dream so I didn't have those experts to rely on and I took what I read I gun rags with a grain of salt. But on the other hand in my feeble mind nothing beats a good ol 30-06. :D

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
So did I hawg, I was in my mid-40's before I knew what the internet was. What I was referring to came out of the gun rags. I didn't say I belived it....which I didn't. Experience literally screamed otherwise.

Unfounded opinions Manny, like a lot of stuff today, that's all I can figure. Medical studies can be produced which disprove about 90% of what most "hunters" believe about terminal ballistics but, it' like talking to a democrat. Most folks minds are made up and won't be confused by facts. I remember back in the 70's and 80's, when the magnum craze was probably just beginning to wane, if the 30-30 was mentioned at all it was with a sneer, snide comment and maybe a bit of wonder it ever killed a deer at all. Then some dim bulb writer finally had the idea to compare it to the 44 Mag., which at that time because of the "Magnum" suffix was deemed a perfectly capable 150 yard deer/hog cartridge, and discovered the ol' 30-30 was a ballistically better cartridge. It took a generation for most writers to admit the same while millions more deer and hogs continued to fall to a cartridge deemed unsatisfactory.

It isn't much different today only it's velocity, scopes and bullets. A guy gets a 6.5 Gaymoor with a stainless barrel and plastic stock, mounts a $1200 piece of glass on it, reads 3 articles and/or watches 4 U-toob videos, buys a loading set up, loads 100 rounds and is an overnight expert on not only handloading but shooting out to 1500 yards and all facets of being a Marine Corps Scout/Sniper.

To many youngsters and, not so youngsters, unless it's a solid copper bullet launched at 3000 fps from some new, whiz bang cartridge, that was actually developed pre-WWI, fired though a 12 X 36, BDC, lighted reticle, mil dot scope at 50 yards, (later determined to be 639 yards), it will bounce off today's armor plated deer.

Sometimes a fella just has to grin, shake his head an move on.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts