The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
I do not understand those that say "You have to use ...... to kill deer".
I killed my first at 9 3/4 years old using a .22 (Head shot) bolt action single shot.
I have killed deer from 5 yards to 300 yards and have used just about every cal. rifle and shotgun. From a .22 up to a .300 and from a .410 up to .12 gauge. With open sights and high power scopes and even red dots.
So for those that say "You need" or "you should" regarding cal or sights are full of it.
You use what you have and all you need is good shot placement.
So use what you want. Just make sure you know the limits of what you are using and remember.
It is not as important to what you are using as to where your shot is hitting.
I will add that intill I built my .50 I did not understand the old saying "I shot and it dropped".
Now I do.

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen anybody give a 30-30 a bad rap.
Allow me to introduce you to Donald Hamilton. His Matt Helm series, book #12, THE INTERLOPERS. Secret agent Matt has been captured by a gang of Russian spies who are disguised as a hunting party in Alaska. As a matter of course he is checking out the available weaponry in case he gets away.

I noted four scabbarded rifles, one for each horse. Two were strictly nothing-guns. They were the movie cowboy, bang-bang rifles; the short, flat little lever-action carbines that, although handy to slip under your leg when riding, don't have much more range or accuracy than a good revolver.

The other two I couldn't make out in detail since their scabbards were equipped with leather hoods for full protection, but they were obviously longer and heavier, real big-game guns, bolt action rifles with telescopic sights, suitable for serious marksmanship if properly assembled and prepared.
A little later in the book it is verified that the "nothing guns" are 30/30s.

Mr. Hamilton, while in my opinion an excellent storyteller, had very strong opinions of firearms.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It isn't much different today only it's velocity, scopes and bullets. A guy gets a 6.5 Gaymoor with a stainless barrel and plastic stock, mounts a $1200 piece of glass on it, reads 3 articles and/or watches 4 U-toob videos, buys a loading set up, loads 100 rounds and is an overnight expert on not only handloading but shooting out to 1500 yards and all facets of being a Marine Corps Scout/Sniper.
That's totally unfair. It's a $750 scope.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Do you need another gun? Or 8... or 10 ... or 12 more for that matter!

Do you need another gun for deer? NO!

I have killed deer with .220Swift, .22-250, 6mm .243, .257Roberts, .270, 7mm-08, 7mmSAUM, .303British, .32, .35Rem, .30-06, 20ga slugs, 12ga slugs, .50cal Flintlock, .44 revolver, arrow ... I have used shotgun beads, iron sights, scope, peep sights ... I have probably missed a few.

Some are single shot, one a double barrel, I have used lever action, bolt action, and pump.

I have shot deer in heavy brush at 10 yards (With a scope) to open fields at 300 yards.

It is about shot placement. Use what you are comfortable with to make a well placed instant kill. BTW, venison tastes better if adrenaline isn’t pumping through the meat.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
My two cents: Everybody deserves a least one lever action rifle. At least one of those lever actions should be a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Scopes just don't look right on Winchester 94s. Iron sights on other rifles (e.g. single shots) are OK too.

Although nobody asked: I have four Winchester 94s; three in 30-30 and one in 38-55. Three of them wear Marbles full buckhorne rear sights. One has a Lyman # 2 tang sight. Also have two Winchester 92 repros; one in 357 mag and one in 45 Colt. They have aperture rear sights mounted on their bolts. Also one Marlin 336 in 35 Remington with a vintage B&L Baltur 2 1/2 power scope (adjustments in the mount) with a post and crosshair reticle. Also single shots in 22LR, 30-30, 356 Winchester, 7.62X63R and 45-70, all with iron sights.

Except for the 22 (it has accounted for lots a rabbits and squirrels), all of the above have put venison and/or pork in the freezer and/or put the skids on a number of coyotes. End of an old man's ramble. 😊

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 30-30 my first gunshot wound was from a 30-30... dont ask.
I'M just happy to know it wasn't used as effectively on YOU, as it is, on the innumerable whitetails it's dispatched. BTW, MINE was from a 7.62x39, fired from some agitated 3rd-worlder who, ironically, did so AFTER coming to the freest country in the world. The irony...

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've dropped deer out as far as 200 yards with a 4X scoped bolt action 30-30. But I have hunted in places where I could see eligible deer out at 3-400 yards. I would not attempt that range. Use the gun that the location dictates.

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
It's entirely fair. I wasn't even thinking of you, Bob.

Good grief Kosh.....if not for bad luck. Glad you are both survivors!!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
The pistol-caliber Lever guns are pretty much "100 yards & under" rifles, except under unusually favorable circumstances (More so the .45 Colt & ,357, than the .44 Mag.). The .30-30, .32 WSPL and .35 Remington lever-guns are good out to about 175 yards (where most shooters can no longer hit a 6" diameter circle 4 out of 5 tries, under time pressure, with one). These rounds still have power to drop deer-sized game beyond that, but platform accuracy, trajectory, and user-skill are usually these rounds' undoing.
A lever-gun in .45-70, even in its fairly mild factory loading, seems a bit much for southern whitetail, but you are familiar with reloading, and a middlin' charge of Unique or 2400, behind a 300+ grain slug will drop the game of choice (if you do your part), without making your shoulder think you let a pro-boxer use it as a warm-up bag. On the OTHER end of the ballistic (and shoulder-abuse) scale, a .45-70 set up to throw 400+ gr. projectiles above 1600 - 1700 f/s will likely cleanly drop anything in the western hemisphere, and certainly anything in the lower 48. So, with a lever-action .45-70, you have some flexibility with game size that you won't have with the other lever-guns. You'll ALSO have a higher propellant and lead consumption, compared to the aforementioned rounds.
If you are sure you'll never hunt the biggest bear, moose, elk, nor medium African game, then maybe a .45-70 is NOT what you need. On the other hand, fortune favors the prepared, and if you had such a rifle & got a call from someone who needs a "back-up" they trust, for a dangerous game hunt in the northern (or more far-flung) parts of the world, then you're in business.
JMHO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Allow me to introduce you to Donald Hamilton. His Matt Helm series, book #12, THE INTERLOPERS. Secret agent Matt has been captured by a gang of Russian spies who are disguised as a hunting party in Alaska. As a matter of course he is checking out the available weaponry in case he gets away.

A little later in the book it is verified that the "nothing guns" are 30/30s.

Mr. Hamilton, while in my opinion an excellent storyteller, had very strong opinions of firearms.
Or precious little real-world knowledge... I never read his bio, but I'd bet a double-cheeseburger he is/was not even middlin' experienced with hunting.

Good grief Kosh.....if not for bad luck. Glad you are both survivors!!!!!
Thanx, Sharps! But ACTUALLY, my luck THAT day was STELLAR! I "won first place"! The other "contestant", with the SKS, placed last. DISTANTLY last...
I'M glad that GrouseAssasin & I are survivors, too!

·
TFF Chaplain
18,916 Posts
Hawg, according to the "experts" from 30-40 years ago the good ol' 30 WCF could barely make it TO 100 yards. It, the cartridge, had about a decade's worth of those ignorant of its capabilities.
Nobody ever told holywierd about those limitations. Good guys shoot bad guys 200 or 300 yards away on a regular basis with whatever lever gun they have on hand, and even with their trusty six shooter.😄

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I've used a model 94 in 30-30, a Marlin 336 in .30-30, a Marlin model 94 in .44-40, a Schmidt Rubin in 7.5 Swiss, and several muzzle loaders in .50 and .54 caliber to hunt deer with, none of them scoped.

Now, if you want another rifle and need a logical sounding reason besides I want another rifle, and there's nothing wrong with wanting another, get a lever action .30-30, everybody needs a lever action .30-30 in their safe.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Ok I feel a
I'M just happy to know it wasn't used as effectively on YOU, as it is, on the innumerable whitetails it's dispatched. BTW, MINE was from a 7.62x39, fired from some agitated 3rd-worlder who, ironically, did so AFTER coming to the freest country in the world. The irony...
Ok I feel at this point I feel I must elaborate, A: Im not knocking the 3030 excellent firearm. B: My gun shot wound was self inflicted, I was 16 and forgot to decock the hammer and stepped over a log slipped and shot my foot, minor flesh wound and lots of initial pain.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Nobody ever told holywierd about those limitations. Good guys shoot bad guys 200 or 300 yards away on a regular basis with whatever lever gun they have on hand, and even with their trusty six shooter.😄
Or better yet shooting a man off a running horse with an 1860 Henry from 1000 yards. The Henry used a 200 grain bullet powered by 26 grains of black powder but in Hollywierd it's impossible to miss with one no matter the conditions or range.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,916 Posts
in Hollywierd it's impossible to miss with one no matter the conditions or range.
Only when the good guy is shooting. The bad guys miss all the time.😁

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Talk about thread drift.....:unsure:
It goes from the person who started this thread asking if what he has is good enough for killing deer to people getting shot :confused:
It was an interesting and informative trip though.
Heck, in the movie Silverado they even took multiple shots and working the lever without ejecting any brass.

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
Talk about thread drift.....:unsure:
It goes from the person who started this thread asking if what he has is good enough for killing deer to people getting shot :confused:

And?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts