The Firearms Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Now, if you want another rifle and need a logical sounding reason besides I want another rifle, and there's nothing wrong with wanting another, get a lever action .30-30, everybody needs a lever action .30-30 in their safe.
Griz1, I like the way you think. IMHO, wanting another rifle (or pistol, revolver, or shotgun) is a perfectly logical reason for getting one. (y):):D

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Wants and needs are different things. Usually "wants" trump "needs"....:giggle:

Having a '94 Winchester....in about any cartridge....is something I need to rectify. I have 3 lever rifles, an '86 Win. in 40-82 from 1895, an 1889 Marlin in 32-20 from 1893 and a new Uberti, 1873 Sporting Rifle in 44-40.....but no '94...:(

Except for the 32-20 I'd take either hunting. I know tons of deer sized game have been taken with the 32-20 but I can't make myself use it. My first hog was killed with the '86

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have never shot a deer, but I am determined to do it eventually. I finally picked up a dedicated deer gun: a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The other day, I saw Paul Harrell talking about deer guns, and he seemed to feel it was a good idea to have a lever action with iron sights for short-range deer hunting. Is it really a big disadvantage to have a scoped bolt gun when you're close to a deer? My scope will go down to 2.5, but that's the bottom.

It would be just terrible if I had to buy another gun. 🙄

It looks like a lot of people use the .45-70 for this kind of thing.
I got old eye's but even before I found the best sight's for close work was a scope. I have two favorite's, a 2 3/4x Redfield widefield I bought new about 1972 and a 1-4X Redfield bought about the same time. No need to line up two point's to shoot and low power has a super wide field of view and take's in a lot of light.

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
Speaking about wanting or needing new guns - a couple of months I had some .22 magnum ammo that just caused all kind of problems in my new PMR-30. My remedy was to buy a rifle in .22 Magnum! Voila, problem solved!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
As a kid my dream rifle was a Savage mod 99. But to this day have never owned one. Did have a mod 94 30-30 once but never liked t that much. If I were to get a lever today I think I'd look for a Win mod 88 and have it rebarreled to something like a 250 Savage! Then I'd take the 1-4 Redfield off my 308 and put it on there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well if you get a lever action, you might find yourself wanting a single action six shooter to go with it, lol.
I did !! LOL
This is so true.. For me it was the other way around.. I got hooked on SA revolvers, then had to have a lever gun.. Now it has gotten a little out of control.. I really want a 45-70 big loop guide gun..but the polar bear threat isnt quite what it used to be here in S/W Ohio.. lol...?

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
So what Lisa. I keep a 450/400 Nitro Express just in case elephant or Cape Buffalo should appear raiding our garden. A '95 Winchester in 405 WCF would be an excellent choice for you and Bob!!! Hey...there ya go Bob!! 405 WCF and you'll never need another lever rifle. 'Course that won't trump wants....... 😁

Reactions: Lisa93

·
TFF Chaplain
19,299 Posts
I keep a 450/400 Nitro Express just in case elephant or Cape Buffalo should appear raiding our garden.
That should take out any rampaging armadillos!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
So what Lisa. I keep a 450/400 Nitro Express just in case elephant or Cape Buffalo should appear raiding our garden. A '95 Winchester in 405 WCF would be an excellent choice for you and Bob!!! Hey...there ya go Bob!! 405 WCF and you'll never need another lever rifle. 'Course that won't trump wants....... 😁
Lol...............................

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
As a kid my dream rifle was a Savage mod 99. But to this day have never owned one. Did have a mod 94 30-30 once but never liked t that much. If I were to get a lever today I think I'd look for a Win mod 88 and have it rebarreled to something like a 250 Savage! Then I'd take the 1-4 Redfield off my 308 and put it on there!
The Savage model 99 is a good design, the magazine lets you use any type of projectile unlike a tubular magazine that limits you in bullet choice. I've never owned one either but I've handled more than a few of them.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I'M just happy to know it wasn't used as effectively on YOU, as it is, on the innumerable whitetails it's dispatched. BTW, MINE was from a 7.62x39, fired from some agitated 3rd-worlder who, ironically, did so AFTER coming to the freest country in the world. The irony...
Ok I feel at this point I feel I must elaborate, A: Im not knocking the 3030 excellent firearm. B: My gun shot wound was self inflicted, I was 16 and forgot to decock the hammer and stepped over a log slipped and shot my foot, minor flesh wound and lots of initial
Speaking about wanting or needing new guns - a couple of months I had some .22 magnum ammo that just caused all kind of problems in my new PMR-30. My remedy was to buy a rifle in .22 Magnum! Voila, problem solved!
I seem to have a glich here. bare with me

gdmoody I seem to have a similar issue, my bro in law gave his single shot 12ga. a couple years ago. so i made a bunch of shells for it 3 or 400 hundred rounds. then he started dating a controlling psycho domineering mental case. who demanded he get it back. they came to visit and weren't here 5 minutes before she asked him if he had asked for it back yet, she was still getting her kid out of the car. Now I have to go buy a 12 ga.

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Now I have to go buy a 12 ga.
As I gaze into my crystal ball I see a nice, SXS double gun in your future..........just in case you wanted to ask.... 😁

Reactions: Grizzley1

·
Registered
17,019 Posts
So what Lisa. I keep a 450/400 Nitro Express just in case elephant or Cape Buffalo should appear raiding our garden.
I have a 375 H&H, just in case a rogue elephant comes stampeding through the neighborhood. It works too. In all the years that I've had this 375 H&H, rogue elephants have been too afraid to come by.

Except for the 32-20 I'd take either hunting. I know tons of deer sized game have been taken with the 32-20 but I can't make myself use it.
Many years back I was reading an article about how the 30 carbine was considered too small for deer. But the good old boys in - what would you call this - the South Midwest ( Arkansas Missouri Mississippi)? - good old boys in the South Midwest been shooting deer with it since the fifties. Cuz they know it ain't nothing but a rimless 32/20, and good old boys in the South Midwest been killin' deer with 32/20s for over 100 years.

It's funny. I got three 32/20 rifles. A early 1890s 1873, a early 19 teens 1892 and a Browning re-release of a Winchester 53. And I don't believe that I would take any of them into the deer woods. But I have two M1 Carbines, and would have no trouble taking either one of them out. Course the deer down here are small. :)

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
You actually need 2 new lever action rifles; A Winchester 94 in 30-30 and a 92 or 94 clone in .357 Magnum PLUS a Single Action revolver in .357 Magnum.

I love lever action rifles. I have 3 Winchester 94's, one in 30-30, 32 Winchester Special (1944) and one re-barreled to 38-55. I have a savage 99E in .234 Winchester with a 4x scope, a Rossi 92 clone in .357 Mag, a Uberti 1866 in 45 Colt and a .22 LR Browning clone by Henry Repeating Arms.

I have killed deer with all but the 1866 and .22LR. None are scoped but the 38-55 has a Williams Peep site on it. The rest are standard buckhorns. I do want to get a Marlin 30-30 so I can use a scope and the Hornaday Leverevolution ammo.

The deer were mostly under 100 yards away, but I did make one outstanding shot after the sun went down behind the cedars with a buck standing in tall grass the same color as his fall coat at 173 yards with my open sight 30-30, right between the eyes!

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Ive seen south midwest deer we call those yearling fawns.
180 - 200 lb., 8-12 pointers are hardly yearling fawns. They aren't common but there's enough around getting one is far from an impossibility and if you pattern one and hunt it, your odds for success are pretty good. Average doe is 100 - 120 lbs. around here. No, our deer aren't 250 - 300+ lb. hogs like some are farther north but they're more than representative.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
180 - 200 lb., 8-12 pointers are hardly yearling fawns. They aren't common but there's enough around getting one is far from an impossibility and if you pattern one and hunt it, your odds for success are pretty good. Average doe is 100 - 120 lbs. around here. No, our deer aren't 250 - 300+ lb. hogs like some are farther north but they're more than representative.
Last time I was in Missouri about 9 years ago, we stayed at Roaring River state park and the conservation officer was doing a presentation on Missouri wildlife. when I mention our Minnesota white tail Does average 145-160lbs he looked dumbfounded and said " You must mean bucks, does cant get that big" Im not saying we have big deer here in the northland , Ive cerainly seen bigger deer in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Just the deer Ive Personally seen down south were typically small.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Got to thinking after my last post. That 308 I have the 1-4x scope on Ive never shot anything but cast bullet's through. So that in mind a mod 88 rebarrled to 358 win with cast bullet's just might make a handy close range brush gun!

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Our current conservation officers are schooled.....somewhere.....and mostly inexperienced. Evidently that agent never travelled north of the Missouri River to north Missouri where the deer are bodied a lot like Iowa. The conservation dept. denied bear existed in Missouri for 50 years....until they started getting hit on the highway. They could say "that isn't a bear track" but it's kinda difficult to say "that isn't a bear" when it's laying there dead in front of them or, guys had pictures of them raiding feed bins. I don't put a lot of faith in our Cons. dept. anymore.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
I have seen Wisconsin deer and they ain't little. Quite a few years ago I had to go on a TDY trip to Fort McCoy. One evening I was walking to the club and I saw a bunch of horses on the parade field in the distance. As I got closer, I saw antlers on some of the "horses"!! Being used to the whitetail deer covering the southeastern US, all I can say is those deer(horses) were HUGE!!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts