The Firearms Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Our current conservation officers are schooled.....somewhere.....and mostly inexperienced. Evidently that agent never travelled north of the Missouri River to north Missouri where the deer are bodied a lot like Iowa. The conservation dept. denied bear existed in Missouri for 50 years....until they started getting hit on the highway. They could say "that isn't a bear track" but it's kinda difficult to say "that isn't a bear" when it's laying there dead in front of them or, guys had pictures of them raiding feed bins. I don't put a lot of faith in our Cons. dept. anymore.
Our Conservation office is still denying the existance of cougars in MN even though they have been seen regularly since the 80s. When they are forced to acknowledge one thats been hit by a car or has been caught on video in a residential neighborhood its the "it must be an escaped illegal pet" excuse. I've seen several over the years.

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Yeah, we have the mountain lion thing too. If there is a resident population I doubt it's very big. Here they "said" they either wondered down from Nebraska or the South American puma pet thing. The deal with that is North and South American mountain lions have different DNA and they can tell the difference. Most that were supposedly escaped, or released pets, were North American cats. Several years ago there was a cat got killed on the Interstate around the KC airport. That one was kinda hard to deny.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
331 Posts
We recently had a horse nearby that was killed by a large animal. There were claw marks on each hind quarter, and it’s throat had been torn out before it had been half eaten. Fish and Wildlife ruled that it was a bear attack. Really???

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a kid my dream rifle was a Savage mod 99. But to this day have never owned one. Did have a mod 94 30-30 once but never liked t that much. If I were to get a lever today I think I'd look for a Win mod 88 and have it rebarreled to something like a 250 Savage! Then I'd take the 1-4 Redfield off my 308 and put it on there!
I've got an old pre-64 Winchester model 88 in .243. Have taken a lot of deer with it, the cycling is a little fickle. Have to hold it just right and work the lever with confidence. Great gun, and accurate.

Love the 30-30, have a Marlin that's about 40 years old and love it. You guys talking about short range shooting has me thinking of taking off the scope though.

I plan to take out this Winchester 94ae in .45lc this season. Buddy of mine just made this wrap and sling for it. Cost me a six-pack, not a bad deal. Have some DoubleTap ammo I'll be using, 255 Grain Keith type Hardcast SWC bullets. Liked these more than the Leverevolution, hit harder and stayed together better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have never shot a deer, but I am determined to do it eventually. I finally picked up a dedicated deer gun: a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The other day, I saw Paul Harrell talking about deer guns, and he seemed to feel it was a good idea to have a lever action with iron sights for short-range deer hunting. Is it really a big disadvantage to have a scoped bolt gun when you're close to a deer? My scope will go down to 2.5, but that's the bottom.

It would be just terrible if I had to buy another gun. 🙄

It looks like a lot of people use the .45-70 for this kind of thing.
To your actual post, I've taken deer almost exclusively with scopes. Shots ranging from 20yards to 150 yards. The biggest challenge I have is the size of the objective lens (field of view). When the objective lens is too small or the magnification to high at close range it can be hard to spot deer after the first shot (for me at least). Or to quickly find them in the brush. I also have a tendency to close the opposite eye when using a scope, where I've focused on keeping both eyes open on iron sights or pistol sights, which should help with tracking a deer in the brush especially as it starts to move.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts