The Firearms Forum banner

Lever Action Shotgun

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  PRR1957 
#1 ·
Manufactures have made, single shot, doubble barrel, pump, auto loader. Why no lever action. I am not talking about Henry's 410. I, am talking about a honest to goodnest lever action. I, do not recall ever seeing or hearing about any being made. Some thing I, have wondered about.

#2 ·
Winchester made the 1887 in both 12 gauge and 10 gauge. Then they made the 1901 in 10 gauge only. In the second Terminator movie Arnold was using a cut down 1887. In the second Mummy movie Rick was using a cut down 1887.

Now copies of this gun are being made in Italy and in China.

6 years after Winchester started making the 1887 lever they came out with the 1893 pump, and pumps proved to be more popular, so they pretty much quit making levers.

Attachments

#3 ·
Alpo,
Cool info on the shotgun. I always wandered what Arnie used in the "T2" movie.

Are those your shotguns in the picture you posted, and if so, how much do weigh ?

I can't remember what World War 1 movie I saw as it was quite a number of years ago, but an American Doughboy soldier had one of the now identified to me Winchester 1887 when there was an assault on a combat trench while battling the Hun's. If it was historically correct, would buckshot been used ?

#10 ·
Are those your shotguns in the picture you posted, and if so, how much do weigh ?
Certainly they're mine. Don't you recognize my toes? My toes seem to be in just about all of my long gun pictures. Y'all should be familiar with them by now.

Ain't never put them on a scale but, they feel like they are about the same as a 870. One has a 18 and a quarter inch barrel and the other has a 20 inch. About the same weight as any other riot gun.

#5 ·
There was a Frenchman in the late 1860's that made a 16ga on a modified Henry lever action. I've only seen one, I don't know how many he produced. There's a Turk firearms company making one that looks like a 12ga auto loader, with a lever.

#9 · (Edited)
I think i remember a story when Winchester asked John Browning to make a lever action shotgun and he told them a slide action would be better. But they told him they were a Lever action company and insisted on him designing a lever action! So he made them as Alpo posted the 1887. But a few years later they came around to his thinking and that's when he gave them the 1893 than the 1897. Looks like hawg posted about the same thing a post ahead of me, but since i typed the whole thing out i decided not to delete it.

#12 ·
Why ignore the Henry .410? It's a great gun, perfect for use on squirrels, rabbits, and rattlesnakes. I love it, and am working on a rack for it on my tractor. :cool:

#16 ·
I read that the lever actions were hit and miss when loading shells. Read a couple of articles but a couple does not make it a standard for why lever actions never became popular.

Reactions: one3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.