The Firearms Forum banner

LeveRevolution Powder????

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  shootbrownelk 
#1 ·
Hello all... My wife has a Marlin lever action (tube feed) in .44 Mag that she just loves, she's taken a Deer a year with for the last three years now. She really likes that Hornady LeveRevolution ammunition, but is not fond of the extra cost.

I said (maybe mistakenly) that I could get the Hornady FTX bullets and load her a comparable cartridge... I now have the bullets but after some research it's sounding like the Hornady LeveRevolution factory load may be a "Duplex" load. I don't know if this is true or not, it's internet only information so far.

Hornady sells (I've seen it in Cabela's catalog, but not local) a powder called LeveRevolution, but I find it hard to believe that this could be any type of "Duplex" powder simply because of separation/homogenization problems they would have shipping it in a bulk canister, and other safety and liability issues.

Have any of you had experience with Hornady LeveRevolution powder, and if so is it worth it? It is a bit pricey, and if I have to order it online it will cost even more of course.

Or... what powder would you recommend for a 225 grain flexing ballistic tip bullet shot from a .44 Mag out of a rifle with a 20" barrel???? I can work up revolver type loads all day for it, but I wondered if anyone has a pet load for a rifle in .44.

If not thanks anyway... but I'm just trying to get the most out of her rifle for her with my hand loads. :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
From Hodgdon's web site.

Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® Manufacturing have teamed together to answer the frequently asked reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady LEVERevolution factory ammunition?" Yes, this is the same spherical propellant used in Hornady's innovative and award winning high performance factory ammunition. This fabulous propellant meters flawlessly and makes lever action cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester yield velocities in excess of 100 fps over any published handloads, with even greater gains over factory ammunition. Other cartridges include the 35 Remington, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express and the 25-35 Winchester. The list of cartridges and bullets is limited with this highly specialized powder, but where it works, it really works!

I haven't seen ant data for it in the 44 Mag though.

#5 ·
I have a Henry Big Boy, 44 Mag that I've been working up loads for. H110 has all but disappeared then I found a couple pounds of "Hodgdon Longshot.
225 grain, .429" JHP Speer #4435; Longshot 11.5 gr; Primer: Fed GM150M; OAL: 1.575 Absolutely Awesome! 1300 fps. Excellent groups!

OR

200 grain .429" JHP Speer #4425: AA#7 16.5 gr; Fed LP ; OAL: 1.6 1503 fps. Dead on at 50 yards. Good load,

I have also loaded some 2400 and gotten really good results, but the Longshot load was so accurate I can live with the slower m/v.

#4 · (Edited)
You won't be able to use the Leverevolution powder in the .44 mag as it's not designed for that cartridge. I would look at stout powder charges of 296 (H110), 4227, or 2400 with that bullet. I think you will be pleased by the results.
Yeah, that makes sense... I should have noticed (I feel dumb) that they have the LeveRevolution powder listed under "Rifle" powders in the Cabela's catalog. I knew I couldn't seem to find a bit of information about loading it in a .44 Mag, even though they sell a .44 Mag as a LeveRevolution cartridge, and my wife shoots it out of a rifle.

Thanks for the suggestions on powders...

#7 ·
Hello all... My wife has a Marlin lever action (tube feed) in .44 Mag that she just loves, she's taken a Deer a year with for the last three years now. She really likes that Hornady LeveRevolution ammunition, but is not fond of the extra cost.

I said (maybe mistakenly) that I could get the Hornady FTX bullets and load her a comparable cartridge... I now have the bullets but after some research it's sounding like the Hornady LeveRevolution factory load may be a "Duplex" load. I don't know if this is true or not, it's internet only information so far.

Hornady sells (I've seen it in Cabela's catalog, but not local) a powder called LeveRevolution, but I find it hard to believe that this could be any type of "Duplex" powder simply because of separation/homogenization problems they would have shipping it in a bulk canister, and other safety and liability issues.

Have any of you had experience with Hornady LeveRevolution powder, and if so is it worth it? It is a bit pricey, and if I have to order it online it will cost even more of course.

Or... what powder would you recommend for a 225 grain flexing ballistic tip bullet shot from a .44 Mag out of a rifle with a 20" barrel???? I can work up revolver type loads all day for it, but I wondered if anyone has a pet load for a rifle in .44.

If not thanks anyway... but I'm just trying to get the most out of her rifle for her with my hand loads. :)
Roger, where you'll run into trouble with your .44 mag and Hornady's flex-tip bullet is trying to load it with a bullet seater made to seat blunt or flat tip bullets. I have the same problem with my .45 Colt. I love the LeveRevolution ammo, but like you...not the cost.
I bought the Hornady bullets and when loading them I deformed the tips and started expansion. Still trying to figure it out. Tried rifle seaters but they wouldn't work in my RCBS pistol dies. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.