The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gun shop where I buy powder and primers called me today to say they had received both powder and small pistol primers. They were limiting purchases of primers to 2,000 per customer and powder to 2 lbs.

I bought 2,000 primers at $43/1000 and 2 lbs of power pistol powder for $25.95/lb. The owner says his distributors are telling him that supplies are getting better and they are getting stock in powder and primers in larger quantities than anything they have had in the past two months.

They still cannot get .22 LR or .223 ammo in large enough quantities to go around. They say that supply is still not adequate to meet demand and everyone is on allocation.

·
Super Moderator
28,034 Posts
I'm glad that availability is improving but $43/1000 is still gouging.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Online I checked about 10 different sources and NOBODY had Win 231/HP-38 in stock - out of stock on most other powders too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Since the primer shortage has spread into powder and other items this time, I suspect it is much worse than in 2008 and that it will continue for many months.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I called my step son at the store he works at, and shotshell primers are going for $27/1000. As soon as I can get over this bronchitis, I will be heading over there and get me what I can.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I bought 100 WLR primers at Sportsman's(Ca) for $3.69, I was surprised at only a .30 increase from a couple of months ago, 1000 price was $34.99, just a couple of bucks more than before the frenzy began, I hope things are going to level off and everyone calms down a bit,

·
Super Moderator
28,034 Posts
I called my step son at the store he works at, and shotshell primers are going for $27/1000. As soon as I can get over this bronchitis, I will be heading over there and get me what I can.
There is only one reason that these shotshell primers are this price and cartridge primers 10 to 15 dollars higher. Demand. Hoarding causes demand and demand creates gouging.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I went to Sportsman's warehouse today and they had squat. .22 snake shot and blanks, no powder our primers other than magnum rifle. They have even started to sell out of shotgun ammo, such as slugs and buckshot. Craziness.

I did manage to score 1000 cci lpp at a lgs, $35.00 but even he was out of powders and other primers. Oddly even rifle bullets (slugs, not loaded rounds) are selling out too. I had trouble finding .243 bullets today but finally did score a box of 100 at the lgs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just found 7000 various primers at a distributor from 29.90 to 31.00/1000. I paid 40+ to get them shipped to my shop with UPS shipping & Haz Mat fee.. I was out so I ordered them. Primers at those prices + 5.90 fee/1000, I have 35.80 - 36.90 in them. Am going to have to sell for 3.99 - 4.19/100 to make any profit at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Primers are running between $4 & $5 a hundred around here, but they are available in smaller quantities.

.223 brass is in short supply, but it's out there...
Loaded .223 rounds are impossible to get around here (Southern Indiana) without paying $30 for a box of 20 rounds.

I'm understanding the .223 production is going to military and homeland security first and foremost,
Then the civilian market gets what they can produce after that.

I'm good on .223 brass, even though I'm using quite a few military cases (5.56x45mm) which are a little harder to reload, but work just fine once you have done the work.

I'm interested in seeing what the 'Gun Ban' crap that's supposed to be unveiled today is going to do to the market,
If everyone is going to freak out again...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
stopped by my LGS the other day, they had powder and all sizes of primers in stock, not very many, but a decent amount considering.

ammo also available, had a good selection of pistols, just no 'assault rifles'

·
Registered
609 Posts
My local gun stores are in NY. They have little left. .. a few revolvers and hunting long guns.... no powder, primers, etc. commercial ammo is very limited....

95% of all auto pistols have been outlawed here. ...they can't carry +7 rounds.... they have been removed from store shelves, ...background checks for all ammo sales comming soon.... but there is little ammo on the shelves, anyway....

ATF classified components like powder and primers as "ammo" so these cannot be shipped into NY unless you are an FFL.

UHG!

No law suits that challenge the new law have been made. The situation here is very bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts