Licensed gun owner

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by BillP, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BillP

BillP New Member

Would you cooperate with a law that required gun owners to be licensed if it were a "shall issue" sort of license??? For the sake of argument, lets specify that it would pertain to all civilian legal guns and no limit would be placed on how many guns a licensee could own and no records kept on what guns are owned.

I have to admit that because of my CCW license, I have sort of already done so. What about most Americans? Would they cooperate? Please do not flame me, I am not in favor of such legislation, just interested.

2. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Probably hold off a bit. Just to see how, and what, happens. I certainly wouldn't rush to do it. Having that said, I wonder about those "gun show" guns obtained (legally) over the years. It's probably in some one's thoughts right now. First license, then confiscate. Hard one to answer. You know they'll do it in increments. TJ

3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Honestly, I would probably cooperate with such a law if that was what was necessary for me to be armed.

Before that happened however, I would fight every legal way available to prevent such a law from being passed.

4. killbuck

killbuck New Member

In NYS you have to register all your handguns when you purchase them so that's a gimme. Well at least lawbidding people do. As for my rifles and shotguns I don't think I would until really pressured. Well maybe I'd tell them I had one each then. After hiding all the others away somewhere. LOL

5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Yes sir, I have this one air rifle that I use to teach young 'uns marksmanship skills. Does that have to be registered? :D

6. BillP

BillP New Member

Thanks for the comments but I was thinking only of a law that required gun owners to be licensed. No requirement to list the guns you own. Really only the opposite of current laws that forbid ownership by felons and those not of sound mind but the requirement would be on you to prove you are OK rather than the authorities to prove that you are not. Sort of like most CCW licenses in "shall issue" states. OK, lets throw in a test on firearm safety.

7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I did misunderstand a bit then, didn't I? :eek: I would oppose such a law. I oppose having to get a CWP license for carry as well but it's a means to an end.

Studies prove that felons are not acquiring their guns from licensed dealers, or even through straw purchases already. Here's one such FBI study.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38769&highlight=violent+encounters

That study shows that almost no felons interviewed obtained their guns legally (1 did years before the encounter, and 2 or 3 came as close as a straw purchase which did utilize the background check system). The rest of these scumbags who assaulted law enforcement officers acquired their firearms through illegal dealers or by stealing them.

The idea of mental evaluations and special conditions for owning weapons could be very tricky as well. What if you were blacklisted for having suffered from a brief instance of depression after the death of a loved one? So, if you've ever been prescribed an anti-depressant for a week or two you lose your gun rights. That would mean guns you currently own would likely be confiscated until such time you were deemed fit to own them again. Do you believe the fight to recover them would be easy?

No, I would not comply without protesting LOUDLY. There is nothing gained by such a measure.

8. obxned

obxned Active Member

The problem here is not the licensing, it is what happens next.

9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

According tothe Supreme Court, felons and other criminals cannot be required to register themselves as owners nor register their arms.

Therefore, only lawful owners and lawfully owned firearms can be required to be registered.

Interesting thought, eh?

http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/cramer.haynes.html

Pops

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Do you mean like a FOID card?

11. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

For the most part, I can't believe what I am reading here. Let me check the medicine cabinet. . . . .

Nope. No hallucinogenic drugs in there. No siree!

Licensing? Are you freaking kidding? Just go ahead and give them the guns now and save them the step of having to come to your home to get them.

For Christ's sake, why not just white out the Second Amendment right now. Take your guns down to the reclaiming shredder like a good citizen. After all, You want to be a good citizen, don't you?

Don't be any trouble, don't risk anything. For God's sake, a BB gun? What the H. E. double hockey sticks were you thinking. You could put an eye out with the that, don'tcha know.

I really can see a trend here. Now I am kinda getting the feeling for how the Lone Ranger felt.

Holy cow, I just called the BATFE and had them pick up all of my BB guns and slingshots too. While I was at it, I anticipated a law banning all knives over 1 inch long and turned in my kitchen utensils too. Heck, there was a very sharp spatula in there.

I feel better now.

12. copenhagen

copenhagen New Member

SC gives out CWPs and I refuse to get one of those because it is un-constitutional and un-necessary for Uncle Sam to know that I think so highly of myself that I need to pack heat. If I want to carry a pistol in my pocket because I feel like it, I have the second ammendment. Not to say of course that I try to get myself into trouble- I do not. If they come out with a license to own guns then no, I will not get one. I would rather just not have firearms than be the first door to which the knock came to. If there was a way I could avoid getting a driver's license, birth certificate, and social security number, I would not get those either. Firearms on the other hand don't have to be driven to work on a daily basis and are not required by Big Brother to get paid.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  13. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I just did the CC for NC and have my application in to the state. The main purpose for the class was legal oriented regarding when and when not to draw a gun and the possible results of using lethal force. I thought that it was well done and the purpose is for concealed weapons. However, this is as far as I would go. We are an open carry state but I will not carry because I don't want to advertise or make myself a theft target.

General licensing is the first step toward loosing our rights like the people in the UK and Australia. Oh, yea, they no longer have any guns. The attempts to license may sound genteel enough up front, but the anti-gun lobby will use that as the first step toward eliminating our guns. No thanks!!

Old Guy

14. BillP

BillP New Member

OK, I guess it's time to reveal my own thoughts on this. I don't like the idea of licensing owners because once something is licensed the requirements for licensing can be tightened until only a privileged few can get one. As far as letting the government know that you are a gun owner, I don't see the problem. Here in MN they could just start with hunters as identified by the DNR and they would have enough "suspects" to keep them busy for decades. Giving them a list of specific guns is something else entirely.

I can see owner licensing starting out quite harmlessly like our CCW licensing. Then someone decides that you need liability insurance. Then how about a mental health certification. Of course older folks are subject to Alzheimer's, so you loose your license at a certain age. By now getting a gun owners license is a privilege rather than a right, so it gets worse. Why, do you need a license? Are you a member of a "recognized" shooting club? Sorry, your license no longer qualifies you to store your guns at home. :(

15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

What is ironic is that many communities in the very early days of our country required that every male register as a gun owner or not and register what gun(s) were owned. However, this was to ensure that the Militia was well regulated and equipped. It was a "make sure everyone has a gun and ammo" sort of law.

If you were Militia eligible (age, physical and religous) you were required to have a gun and ammo of sufficient quality and quanitity to be effective in fullfilling your duties. Registration was a way of enforcing this.

Pops