Light 'Em Up!

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Well-Known Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/30/02 9:44:32 am)
    Light 'Em Up!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God I used to love them things and always managed to squeeze a few more than my pack would hold. You know ... Those little aluminum cylindrical tubes about an inch and a half in diameter and about 18" in length. One end was just a tad larger than the other and slid over the smaller diameter. When one cracked it open there was that little protrusion which acted as a firing pin so to speak.

Give her a little twist and pull off the larger diameter ... Insert the smaller into the larger portion and while holding on to the smaller one you would then smack the bottom of the oversized tube for instant illumination in "any" direction you so choose to aim it. Course ... Most of the time they were designed to go upwards and were intended for illumination purposes in the darkness. They also had the pretty colors too in red and green. Red for danger or enemy and green for friendly. Came in real handy when one was "haulin ass" to make it back to your perimeter and if you chose not to send one of these pretty green ones up in the air while you were nearing your lines then you could pretty much figure on taking fire from your own people ... A definate no-no!

Pop Flares boys and girls ..... Pop Flares!

Most of the gang always had plenty of them pop flares and although they were originally intended for what I had described above ... Well ... You know us combat Marines ... We just could'nt pass up a ville without burnin down a few huts now and then. Worked much faster than the trusty ole' Zippo we used to carry and we did'nt even have to get close. Just point ... Pop ... and move on! Course now the local natives damn sure did'nt appreciate the fact that we had just burnt there village down but then we would'nt have done it if we had'nt taken any fire from what S2 called a "friendly ville".

We was merely returning the "friendly" greetings.

I remeber one time I fired up a hut and one of them "fresh from the States college dudes that got him a butter bar and wanted to do "everything" by the book" kinda guys came over and started gettin in my ass for what I did ..... I did'nt say a word and simply gave him one of them "I don't give a [email protected]&#" kinda looks. He insisted on an answer from me but when I brought my M60 off my shoulder and stood there with an evil eye and a 200 round starter belt with my finger on the trigger he simply walked away and never pressed the matter any further.
    Lt. Rogers got a wake up call real quick and it was'nt the last time he learned a valuable lesson in the bushes but then thats another story.

YUP! Gotta love them pop flares. I did!

Six Out!

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

Edited by: SixTGunr at: 4/30/02 10:52:21 am

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/30/02 2:18:08 pm)
    Re: Light 'Em Up!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All the Marines near us in I Corps in 67 had those stupid little grenade type flares. You would throw them just like a frag but they would break into two pieces when they burst. The two pieces would just lay there on the ground and burn. We would try to give any extra pop flares to them.

You are certainly right about the multiple uses for pop flares! We had illumination flares with a little parachute and the colored ones for signaling.
    Mike H

sherry748
    (4/30/02 6:10:40 pm)
    Thanks Six! This is an interesting post...I greatly appreciate the fact that your telling the truth about the way it was for you. It may not be what some expect to see but I'm glad your telling it. I will never know what you went through,but your post's help me to understand.
    Thanks again,
    sherry

Keep Posting!

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 9:26:14 am)
    Certainly know what ya mean about them illumination grenades 106RR .... I have a story about them too that I shall post one of these days as well.

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"