The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a S&W model 19-3 revolver that I reload for. I go as often as I can to the range to test out my recipes. For the last couple of months, I have been getting the occasional misfire due to light strikes on the primer. I am using CCI 500 brand primers. I know they are light strikes because each time, after waiting a half minute, I open the cylinder, rotate 1 position clockwise, close the cylinder, and fire again. Each time the round goes off as expected. This happens maybe once every 100 to 200 rounds.

I would provide pictures but I keep forgetting to save the round that misfired. I remember each showing a less than definite depression in the primer. On the second try, after a successful firing, firing pin depression is much more definite.

Obviously, I will be taking my gun to my gunsmith. What do you think my gunsmith will tell me? Should I be getting a new firing pin? Is it a contamination issue? Is it a wear issue?

·
Registered
387 Posts
DrMLap,
CCI primers are hard in that I mean there are ones out there that will ignite easier..namely Federal...I use CCI's in my SMGs and Federals in my revolvers and striker-fired pistols..

Reactions: carver

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
Remington pistol primers have a reputation for being soft as well. I use them a lot in my old rifles that have light firing pin strikes. They cured all the ignition primers in my first Schuetzen rifle. They're known to have light firing pin springs as a matter of course.

I don't know what your 'smith will tell you. Seems to me it's either a worn firing pin or the hammer spring has weakened. Take that with a grain of salt until you know for certain.

Reactions: carver and K75RT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good suggestions. I will first check the strain screw to see if I can tighten it a little. If that does not work, then I will change primers according to these excellent suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
39,084 Posts
I have no idea BUT I have thoughts.

You said reloads, make sure your primers are fully seated.
Is your firing pin "hole" clean of any old dried oil or other obstruction?
It could be a worn firing pin or a week spring. Take it to the smith and he/she is going to try to sell you parts, needed or not.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts
If you question the primers or the gun, maybe buy a small box of commercial ammo and try them out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar problem with my 19 recently. In my case, I changed the mainspring and rebound spring.
My model 19 has already had a Wolff trigger conversion. I have been very happy with the results. So the spring has already been changed, and then some.

Most likely the problem is that the strain screw needs a small adjustment. The setting on that was, of course, changed in the conversion.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Not meant to be a hijack but ---
What does it mean when you have a light primer strike but the round will EVENTUALLY fire after 3 or 4 tries?

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
Pretty much just what it says, if it's like my old rifles. The anvil is in the primer cup of Boxer primers. One strike that doesn't set it off still drives the base of the primer closer to the anvil and detonation. Sometimes following hammer falls will finish driving the primer base hard enough to detonate the primer. It might take 2, 3 or maybe 4 but it can work. However, it doesn't always. The only cure for my first Schuetzen rifle, other than to make and install a new, heavier hammer spring...which is not how they were designed and made and would disturb offhand aim at 175 and 300 meters...was to use Remington large pistol primers in the 8.7 X 55R rifle & cartridge.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
My model 19 has already had a Wolff trigger conversion. I have been very happy with the results. So the spring has already been changed, and then some.

Most likely the problem is that the strain screw needs a small adjustment. The setting on that was, of course, changed in the conversion.
I'm betting on hard primers, CCI, and not seated well. Sometimes I get in a hurry, and don't seat a primer "ALL" the way in. Firing pin strikes primer, pushing it "ALL" the way in, but not hitting hard enough to seat the primer, and ignite it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Under the grips on the front side is a screw which preloads the mainspring, check to see if it hasn't loosened. Or preload it a bit more and see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts