The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little girl and I are shooting 2 weeks ago-it's raining but we're under roof-shot the steel/big clang.....and a 6ft flame goes straight up behind target,I hear a pop-look over at genny shed and smokes coming out-WHOA.....open door and a 1600$ Murphy auto start/shutdown box is blown apart-the hinge and latch were blown off with the face.....and it blew out the 276$ voltage regulator on alternator.....Bummer...I bought a much simpler Murphy as I hate autostart on generators and never used it(came with genset),so I've been wiring that up......I have ground rods,yes,-40ft of copper cable attached to 4 10ft rods.....my son said-it sucks but it could have gone into house instead...such is life.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Now that’s just a royal bummer. Glad you guys are safe. Being that I just installed a generator with an ATS you have me wondering if there is anything, within reason, that a person can do to protect a genset from a lightening strike? That’s a whole lot of energy to deal with.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Working in the oil field most of my life just like the mailman I will stay out in the cold , heat rain , snow , wind , ect BUT when it came to lightning that yellow streak that goes from shoulder blade to shoulder blade and down to my toes starts glowing and I shut down PDQ !! Glad you and your girl are safe .

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that’s just a royal bummer. Glad you guys are safe. Being that I just installed a generator with an ATS you have me wondering if there is anything, within reason, that a person can do to protect a genset from a lightening strike? That’s a whole lot of energy to deal with.
I've been researching that and it is expensive and only protects a individual entity....so it may shunt it off -to the house or any other conductor connected to generator,so I'm going to continue looking into it...a lineman I know told me about lightning---"luck off the draw".

·
TFF Chaplain
18,844 Posts
Working in the oil field most of my life just like the mailman I will stay out in the cold , heat rain , snow , wind , ect BUT when it came to lightning that yellow streak that goes from shoulder blade to shoulder blade and down to my toes starts glowing and I shut down PDQ !! Glad you and your girl are safe .
I worked at Sullom Voe oil terminal for a couple of years in the lab. Part of my job was to collect petroleum samples from various sample points. Any time there was a threat of lightning we just did not go out. Those samples got missed that day.

@zant, Glad you-all were not hurt and that the generator was the only thing damaged. Hope all your grounding straps do the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts