The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never been able to get LG to do as well as 296 until resently developing 125 grn loads for the 357 magnum carbine. I still prefer 296 for mag handgun loads for carbine for 140 grn and heavier bullets.

!!! RIFLE/CARBINE only!!!
(Frame cutting may result with slower powders in revolvers and shooting fire out the end dosen't get you more fps or good accuracy)

Gun = R92 16.1" std twist
Bullet = lyman 125g devistator HP, #2 lyman alloy, GC, Moly lubed, sized .357, dresses out at 132 grains.
Loading = LG 100.1% CV at 1.6 OAL w/ Fed SR & Starline Brass. Med to light rolled crimp used. Charge weight - NOT PROVIDED (workup for your own loadings from trusted published data tables).
Results = no high pressure signs, 2000fps, 1200ft#, no hard push on shoulder or weapon, 0.7" groups at 75 yrds.

Bullet weight retention is TBD but initial results look promising at 25, 50, & 75 yrds. Water jug testing is forth comming - not always the same results as animals taken.

The 125 grn devistator bullet is a HP bullet with the same profile as a 147 grn 9mm bullet - it is a 9mm bullet design. This is not a GC design but GCs were applied.

Findings:
Being a little bit faster burning powder than w296, lil' gun appears to work better for the lighter bullet. Cold and Hotter weather conditions have not been verified consistant.

THIS IS NOT PUBLISHED LOAD DATA. This is only observed result data that is shared and intended only for experianced reloaders for comparison of published load data.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
My .357 Henry seems to shoot best with 158gr. Bullets in .357 or 38-special.I'm currently using HS-6 because mainly that's all that was available and it works just fine.It's in all the old books.I do load my 38's towards the high end.
I kinda like shooting my .357 Lever gun more that any AR-15 type gun.It's just more fun to me.That might sound strange to some.
Sleeve Wood Knife Everyday carry Automotive exterior

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
296 may work just as good. Loading data shows it at 2100 fps with 125grn bullets. If its MOA its MOA so no need to go any further.

Since I have 4# of LG I was tickled pink that it worked out and I found this load. 296 has a pleasant push instead of the LG stomp for heavier bullets and I dont see an advange to LG for the 158/170/180/200 grn loadings (since it doesnt group as well for em) - I think they publish over powered loads for it trying to make it look like it does more than w296. Since it is a faster powder that doesn't make much sense for rifle loads. It also doesnt make sense to compete that way since both are sold by the same company.

It is about 4% denser so maybe being able to fit a little more in the case helps the numbers. I usually have to go by case volumn on LG because the load data usually wont fit in the case at max loadings as published even with same case bullet and oal. Maybe they changed the product or fibbed a little on the data who knows.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My .357 Henry seems to shoot best with 158gr. Bullets in .357 or 38-special.I'm currently using HS-6 because mainly that's all that was available and it works just fine.It's in all the old books.I do load my 38's towards the high end.
I kinda like shooting my .357 Lever gun more that any AR-15 type gun.It's just more fun to me.That might sound strange to some.
View attachment 250574
Nice rifle

·
TFF Chaplain
21,614 Posts
Working that lever is a satisfying feeling.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I like my lever guns and my single action six guns better than any other types I have. Thats all I ever shoot and load for anymore. I always wanted a 94 in 7-30 waters but never got around to buying one. 30-30 and carbines keep me busy.

I had one of those 18" ars with the stubby little stock a few years ago. Shot five rounds through it and got rid of it. Guess I got my fill of them when in the service 30 some years ago. Maybe if it had been an A1 or A2 regular size I may have liked it better.

·
Registered
752 Posts

View attachment 250574
I have one in 45 Colt.

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
I like my lever guns and my single action six guns better than any other types I have. Thats all I ever shoot and load for anymore. I always wanted a 94 in 7-30 waters but never got around to buying one. 30-30 and carbines keep me busy.

I had one of those 18" ars with the stubby little stock a few years ago. Shot five rounds through it and got rid of it. Guess I got my fill of them when in the service 30 some years ago. Maybe if it had been an A1 or A2 regular size I may have liked it better.
I don't enjoy my AR near as much now as I did when I first got it. I'd much rather shoot a lever gun especially if I had one in .357 or .45Colt.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't enjoy my AR near as much now as I did when I first got it. I'd much rather shoot a lever gun especially if I had one in .357 or .45Colt.
You can find them but they are 200% as much as before covid. Usually have to ship in to your ffl shop from elsewhere. I resently bought a r92. When searching online could only find 2 in stock a saddle ring 16" in 357 and a short rifle 20" in 44mag. I liked the 20" better but am set up for 9mm, 38, & 357mag (not to mention a few others) and have ammo and supplies for those. Not a good time to start new caliber loadings right now. Have 452s bit no 429 stuff.

Saw one of those jap winchester 94s w 24" tube in 45LC at a lgs a few months ago (new) but couldnt bring myself to drop 1200+$ for it. It was nice though except for that flaky tang safety and no safey catch springy hammer though. Might have looked harder if it was a 92.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I must be the only guy I know who uses it for its original intended purpose: .410 bore shotgun shells. :confused:

Edit: Tried it in 22 K Hornet; went right back to IMR 4227.
Edit #2: +1 with the lever gun guys. Love my Winchester 94s (30-30 and 38-55), and Model 92 repros (357 mag and 45 Colt).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts