Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

llama 9mm?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Big ugly, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I was at one of the lacal pawn shops today and was lookin at some of the WWII hanguns he had there. One was an CZ and the other was a Llama 1911 9mm. I was wonderin about the Llama. I am not a big 9mm fan but the firearms was in condition par with the price but I was wanting to know about the quality of the Llama's. also from a collector stand point what is the take or demand on these handguns? He claimed the manufacture to be in the 40's.

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well as for how good they are, opinion seems divided. There are folk who rate the Spanish guns and those who dont. Depends I guess on what you want from it. I might buy one for a knock about, maybe.

Value in the US? couldn't say, but in Europe maybe $300.00.

3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I am still kicking the Idea around on it. I want it just to have that is all. I collect all WWII era guns I can find so I may pick it up and have it as a shooter or somethin, I dont know.

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Very few people collect Lurrent Llama. If you want a knock around gun, go for it. 9MM, not 9MM Largo? LLama didn't start chambering for the 9MM para untill the 1950's'. Every thing before that was 9MM Largo.

5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer Member

Llama is often misunderstood and under appreciated because of its origin. Many of the firearms that have come from Spain have been cheap copies of other guns, and that stigma tends to stick. Llama, however, was one of the better manufacturers and was generally quite good at balancing price with quality. They also did more than just copy other guns, in fact, they were installing the automatic firing-pin safety in most of their pistols long before Colt started doing so. Some of their models were adopted by the army as well as numerous police departments, and they have made several target models that are well regarded. While Llamas are not usually coveted by collectors, one is still worth having. Llama, by the way, is Spanish for "Flame."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

I remember the LLama pistols from the 1970's. They were not regarded as quality pistols worth collecting. The Star and the Astra guns were considered the better Spanish-made handguns.

The one LLama .22 pistol that I owned in 1979 was a low-quality gun with a 10+ pound SA trigger pull. I traded it off after six months.

Just my opinion.

7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well like I said, I collect per the year not the value. I have some nice pieces but that is not what I am after. I like the era and the things that come from it. I dont know it is a quirk I have I guess. I still havent made up mind on purchase yet cuz apartly ammo is gonna be a bear to find. 9mm largo.

8. AR1911

AR1911 Member

If that Llama was truly made in the 1940s, you should buy it. I have several from that period and all are fine handguns. I have never found a large-frame Llama of that period for sale.

9. Upstate gun man

Upstate gun man New Member

I own 2 LLama's, .380 and a large frame .45. They have both been good guns. reliable and well built. Not sure of the value though.

10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My problem is the 9mm largo ammo. I found one supplier for it and it is priced ok but it has to be shipped and that aint ok, well see what happens in the next few weeks.

11. johnboat

johnboat New Member

well a freind of mine has a 9mm llama and it is marked parabellium and i would feel very well armed w/ this pistol it is very good quality very reliable w/ ball ammo if only it had spare mags we have had no success finding spares but it is otherwise excellent tight and shoots strait

12. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

My friend bought a Llama 9mm which looked NIB for $250 at a gun show. It sat around for two days with a price tag of $325 with no takers, so he got it at a good price. It works fine, but he tried some Wolf ammo, and apparently the steel is too soft for the hotter loads, as it loosened up the gun considerably.

13. johnboat

johnboat New Member

i also had a llama ixc in 45 it was a decent shooter but it didnt seem to feed well it stayed pretty tight after 300 or so

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  14. Grumpytrkr

Grumpytrkr New Member

If Ya'all don't mind, can I jump in? I'm cleaning out my father-in-laws house, and found a llama .38 revolver, however, it also has Stoger Arms, New Jersey. It is also marked "made in spain" on it. So, I'm confused. :D
    Adjustable sights, vent rib bbl, just like a model 10 Smith.

Also have found a Astra Model 400 in 9MM Largo, and lots of ammo for it. Only one magazine so far, but lots of ammo. According to the serial number on the 400, and the research I've been able to do, it was made in 1941. It is marked 9MM & 38, however, from what I have read, you don't want to shoot any 38 ACP in it. And, to be honest, I've never heard of .38 ACP.

As far as finding 9MM Largo, the only thing I have found is via mail order.

Thanks for letting me jump in,
    Grumpy

15. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Your Llama Martial revolver is a good gun. Don't use +P ammunition in it.
    The Astra 400 is actually cal. 9mm largo. It will shoot .38 ACP, which is an earlier, milder loading of the .38 Super. It will shoot .38 Super- but it will blow up! DON'T use 38 Super! The 400 is a fine gun.