The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got lucky and found some trail boss in order to make up light loads for my 45-70.. mor elike trapdoor loads..e tc.

now thinking about plinking ammo for my 458 lott.. which I am currently shoting winmags in.

anybody got a trailboss load for 458winnmag ( and lott? )

would sure save my sholuder.. and them paper targets will still be dead, dead, dead...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've not used that powder, I can check my reload manuals for load data later. I believe I have just about every printed flavor out there for .458 win mag. What booklets you thinking?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
62 guns of imr 4064 is my go to light plinkers with a 405 rnfp's BTW...

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you gotta be kidding me :)

max load is literally.. fill the ase up to the base of the projectile.. and it's automatically safe? WTF? that sounds like magic. :)

sounds like I can do this with any caliber to make light loads.

3006 target..e tc.

am I reading that right? someone pinch me.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Use top end 45/70 data for trapdoor springfield loads.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
you gotta be kidding me :)

max load is literally.. fill the ase up to the base of the projectile.. and it's automatically safe? WTF? that sounds like magic. :)

sounds like I can do this with any caliber to make light loads.

3006 target..e tc.

am I reading that right? someone pinch me.
that's right. But don't compress it. I recommend fill it to 100% capacity and reduce by 10% for a max load.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
well, these things are artillery shells, guess it's not too surprising...

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trailboss must be a very low pressure / safe / stable powder if it's pretty much safe to fill a shell .. basically full or 70% and up... man.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
trailboss must be a very low pressure / safe / stable powder if it's pretty much safe to fill a shell .. basically full or 70% and up
Yep, it's real good stuff. The pressure increases rapidly past 100%; that's why they say "Don't Compress It!"

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
funny stuff how them powders react with load % etc..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I guess it makes sense in a way (safety wise, not accuracy), every powder I've used fills the case right up to the bottom of the bullet if not a little squish. Damn near impossible to overcharge if using correct powders I suppose.

I'm itching to try out my new 500gn RNFP mold (lee), have a bunch loaded, need to blast them next range day... I may have to try out that powder though, I've tested most of 'em in this caliber.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know some of my 30-06 loads approach compressed.. and if ran at max laod will be compressed. i'm just used to measuring grains for smokless powder.. not volume ( like for black powder ).

seems this trailboss with recs of.. fill case to base of projectile.. then dump.. then figure 70% charge by weight and start as min load with max being origina dump.. seems way like a black powder scoop charge like I use in my smoke pole. fill the lil tube to 90gr and dump, patch and go.. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts