Load for .223

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CJ7365, Apr 19, 2009.

1. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

I want to load Hornady .55 gr FMJ BT w/can, I have LC brass, CCI sr primers and I am using H335. I want to shoot them w/ my S&W M&P15, 1:9 twist rate 16 in barrel.

The Lee second eidition shows 55g Full Jacketed Bullet starting load is 23.0 max load is 25.3 does not give barrel twist, brass type, and primer type

Hornady shows .55g FMJ BT starting load 20.8 max load 23.2 using winchester brass, win primer. using a 1:12 twist

This will be my first load, maybe I am being over cautious, but why is there such a discrepency between starting loads, does it really matter what brass or primer I am using?

Using common sense I would start out using the Hornady data, but what brings the question on is win brass, win primer and the 1:12 barrel twist.

Looking for suggestions

I just want to do it right

2. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

Always start low and work up. It isn't just variations in cases you need to worry about, the differences in chambers and throats in .223's is considerable, and has a big impact on pressures.

There are some huge differences in the case weights, which pretty much reflects on internal volume, of .223 cases. Older Lapua and Norma brass comes to mind as being much heavier than the average, IIRC over 100gr. I have not seen significant differences between Winchester and LC brass, probably because all my LC brass dates to when Winchester was running LC. IIRC Federal is now running LC, and my limited experience with Federal .223 was all bad (quickly expanding primer pockets), so I avoid FC and new LC like the plague.

I've had excellent luck with 748 and bullets in the 52-55gr class with that bullet twist, but not with H335.

CCI primers tend to be a bit on the larger side. In general I have not had much luck with CCI primers, but I have had excellent luck with them and 748 and bullet weights in this class in the .223. My favorite load is a 52gr Sierra and 26.5gr 748 in a LC or WW case and a CCI small rifle regular primer.

3. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

Thanks for the info NuJudge,

So far as the LC brass, all I have is new stuff, 06-08, but I'll keep my eye on the primer pockets.

I was going to get W748 at first, but all I could get my hands on was the H335

To get to my question was, do I start at the Load from the Lee book or the Hornady?

Im thinking to be on the safe side start with Hornadys 20.8 and work up

4. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

Start with whichever is lower, and work up. See how they group, examine primers for pierces or flatness, examine the bore to see how complete combustion is, and if you have a chronograph look for large MV variations.

It helps me in my handloading work-ups to use Sharpie colored markers, marking primers and or case heads with color codes, or just writing powder charges on the side of the case.

Remember: there are old handloaders, and there are bold handloaders, but no old bold handloaders.