Load testing with my Savage Model 16/116 in .243

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbcooper, Oct 9, 2017.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

yes I do for sure

yep, thats on my list. The guys here have suggested Reloader 17 and 4831 as a slower burning powder

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    ms6852, Kweeksdraw and m77user like this.
  2. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I've been wondering lately just how much 1/10 grain did effect group's if at all. Gonna set up the scale one of these days and trickle in 1/10 gr and see what it does amount to. I have always loaded in 1/2 gr increments, never even considered working with 1/10 increment'. I guess you'd get the best you can in 1/2 gr and fine tune both ways with 1/10 gr?

3. m77user

m77user Well-Known Member

I have noticed depending on the rifle 1 tenth can be critical. One of my guns, a Remington 788 chambered for the 6x284 winchester is really finicky. It will shoot 1/2 min of angle with H 4831 but 1 tenth of a grain over or under its prefered load it opens up the group. My eyes are so bad now that is hard for me to see the bull at 100 yards even at 10 power. Need to use my spotting scope set at 35 power to see the bullet holes.

slayer likes this.
  4. dbcooper

What my loading data has shown me is that this rifle does not shoot well when you go over 3000 fps with the 3 bullets I've tried

slayer likes this.
  5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

1/10 can make a substantial difference. My Stevens 200 308 win for example, it will put 2 bullets in the same hole and the 3rd touches. I tried adjusting the charge up and down 1/10 and it opened up to 1” or more.

m77user likes this.
  6. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I have been following what the bench rest crowd have been doing for many years for both firearms and cartridge developments in accuracy. One of the most important finds is that of barrel harmonics. As an example, the 6PPC in Light BR has been found to have three harmonic modes using ether N-133 or H-322. Through the usage of high frame rate high def video cameras one can see how much the barrel vibrates, which is more of oscillation. The trick is to find that point in the powder charge that minimizes the harmonic for the barrel on firing. Also the barrels muzzle point in it's oscillation is at the same point every time, meaning that if the bullet exits the barrel with the barrel bore pointing in the 1:00 clock position, one would want all the the rest of the shots to exit with the same timing.

This is just one factor in what makes a firearm accurate not taking in account how well all the parts of the gun are fitted. Is the stock stiff enough. Is the action beaded good enough so the receiver doesn't shift every time gun is fired. Is the barrel properly stress relived from the manufacture so that the barrel muzzle doesn't drift do to heat from the powder burned and heating the barrel. I had one Remington 700 VS chambered in .308 Win. that the first three shots would go into 3/8" group, but as the barrel heated up by the forth shot it would start to string the following shots. If I let the barrel cool down the gun would group fine again for the first three shots.

Broot likes this.
  7. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 Member

I agree with Slayer on the 4831 Powder for the Win 243 also

8. dbcooper

this past weekend I ran some test rounds with the 4831
    Here is what I learned

The same 87 gr Hornady SP bullets that shot so well with 35 gr of 4064 shot equally well with 41 gr of 4831
    However, the gun shoots almost 1.5" high @ 100 with the 4064 and shot .5 inches low @ 100 with the 4831

The 85 gr Sierra Spitzers shot very well and were extact in elevation @100

I also tried the 95 gr Nosler BT and again, got less than stellar groups.

This barrel does not prefer the longer 95 grain bullets (at least at the COLs I have tested and I have found that MV of 2900-3000 produced the best groups. When I loaded past 3000 the groups began to spread out

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

How close to the maximum charge are you with the 95’s?

dbcooper likes this.
  10. dbcooper

The max is 36.5
    I have tried with 33-36 and cannot get consisently under 1" with those bullets and thats fine, I don't have make the gun shoot the 95s now that I know how to make it shoot with the 87s

slayer and m77user like this.
  11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

When I was working with 95’s, I started with hodgdons data. After that was fruitless I went to my Hornady manual. I got no better results with their 95gr data. After thumbing through the Hornady data more I found 105gr data that was higher than the 95gr data with the powder I was using. If I recall correctly, if was 1-1.5gr higher than Hodgdons data for a 95gr bullet as well as what Hornady listed also. I loaded up several rounds in half gr increments to the 105 max and the first half gr charge (which happened to be a half gr over hodgdons max) produced a group almost as good as the 87’s did.

Really makes a guy wonder what’s going on after reading so many others accounts of stellar accuracy with 95-105gr bullets.