The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of acquiring a .55 Boys AT Rifle and all the proper NFA red tape that implies.

Ultimately, between the scarcity of ammo, and the fact that no one stateside is creating new rounds for it, I'd like to sleeve it to .50 BMG and declassify it as a DD. The reasons for this centers on its main role in WWII reenactment where .50 BMG blanks are readily available, but loading up .55 Berdan primered cases for blanks is a fools errand.

For live firing, a main struggle will be the fact the magazines do not accomodate the .50 BMG OAL. I've seen some experiments with modifying the magazines to fit, and that is definitely one route, but loading shorter rounds seems an obvious one.

With .308, .303, and .45 LC, my primary loading up to now, you can get very different OAL by going with a different bullet shape or weight. However, .50 BMG load data is pretty exclusive to the 750 gr traditional bullet.

In the same real diameter is the .510 round bullets for Nitro Express. I was curious if anyone had ever loaded BMG with these rounder, shorter rounds, as I am not really in the field of pioneering load data :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The .510 bullets may have a problem with the velocity that a 50 BMG will drive them. Also, the twist rate would be off for a lighter, shorter bullet which would kill any accuracy.

A magazine modification may be the way to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts