The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Yes, it will cost a little more. Of course it all depends on your component choice and cost. You should be in the $8 range for 20 reloads. Performance is the only reason to reload this caliber.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well I really debated reloading 7.62's for my AK, from what I have found the once fired brass is running $0.40 +- each so that is $40.00 for 100 cases. Primers are $4.00 for 100 if you buy them that way, so it's up to $44.00. Jacketed bullets are $23.00 per 100, so now it's at $67.00. According to Hodgdon's website it's about 25gr of powder per bullet, at $30.00 lb that's $10.70 in powder, so the grand total for reloading your first 100 is $77.70 and if you are shooting from a AK you will probably loose 50% of your brass, so the next hundred will be $57.80. That is almost $0.58 a round and steel cased is about $0.23 a round.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
dont bother if you load it for an AK or SKS.. they sling brass like a blind man feeds ducks.. And most of them beat the brass all to hell. IF you have a sweet 7.62X39 bolt gun, then by all means reload it. It is a superbly accurate round form a solid bolt action and perfect for deer hunting as it has just the right amount of power for deer sized game out to 200 yds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, well I can get 7.62x39 brass dirt cheap. I might attempt reloading it with some more of the "special rounds" instead of the regular FMJ.

STF situation never know.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I know I was very bummed when I learned how much it was to reload that round. Joker if you find 7.62 brass dirt cheap don't forget your ole pal streetbob over here :). I would like to load some custom rounds just to see how accurate I can get my ak.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
you can't even begin to reload for what you can buy wolf or other cheap stuff. I don't reload 9mm for about the same reason more or less, it's stupid cheap.

those two plus the rimfire stuff is my 'buffer'. I can only reload so much! It's nice to just buy ammo that I can fire and forget sometimes, then I don't have to be such a brass rat!

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
dont bother if you load it for an AK or SKS.. they sling brass like a blind man feeds ducks.. And most of them beat the brass all to hell. IF you have a sweet 7.62X39 bolt gun, then by all means reload it. It is a superbly accurate round form a solid bolt action and perfect for deer hunting as it has just the right amount of power for deer sized game out to 200 yds.
Or a nice ASI Custom Ruger Mini-30.:D

20 rounds, 100 yards.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought a couple thou rounds of brass cased Russian Bedan primed this last week for .19 a round locally. Watch and it's out there. Boxer will run a little more.

AIM has brass cased Boxer primed SP $9 per box of 20.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've reloaded 7.62x39mm for a few years now, and I do it for a few reasons.
One, when the big ammo crunch was going on in 2008, I was the only one shooting that caliber at the range - people either couldn't find it or were busy sitting on what they had.
I use the reloads in my CZ 527M and my SA vz-58.
Two, I love making accurate ammo, and it's fun.
The generic load I make for the vz-58 uses the Hornady 123 grain spire point over 27 grains of AA 1680. Cost, according to the reloading calculator and my last MidwayUSA invoice, is running me about $15.38 per 50.
The 527M loves the Berry's 125 grain plated bullet, works quite well. That load, according to the same calculator, it's a wee bit more expensive, running up to $16.58 per 50.
BTW, I'm NOT counting brass cost - I've been using the same brass for some time now - the vz-58 doesn't sling 'em very far away, and of course the bolt action leaves 'em right where I can grab without moving.
The last bullet I use is handcast with the NOE mold, wheel weight lead, and yes, it IS usable in both rifles. I get lead for about $1 a pound, so my costs drop to $4.97 for 50. Still working up loads for this bullet, so costs might increase a penny or two as the powder charge goes up. :)
Using just MidwayUSA, (since I shop there a lot. :) ), the lowest price cheap steel case ammo is Wolf Military Classic, 124 grain FMJ bullet, for $5.29 per 20. That's $13.23 per 50, for cheap mass produced junk ammo. :) Mine is tailored to each rifle, and produces repeatable results in either one. I am not a crack shot by any means, but I do like what I get.
And very last - I love reloading, it's a fun, productive and relaxing hobby, just like shooting. Reloading and casting give me better things to do with my time than play video games. ;)
Did I mention I load and cast for 9mm, too? :D 38 Special as well, I just keep picking the cheapies, don't I? :D

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
That is a sweet mini Steve. and I remember you have some good Lapua X39 brass too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, it will cost a little more. Of course it all depends on your component choice and cost. You should be in the $8 range for 20 reloads. Performance is the only reason to reload this caliber.
Sorry to go off topic but noticed you must be into Fly fishing and wondered if I can PM you ever on the topic? I just started tying flys not too long ago, absolute joy. On the topic, does anyone hunt with this round, bolt action, I dont see much on it? If so what rifle?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Ive hunted with an SKS before, killed a few pigs. Mark, a family member of mine, still hunts with his Yugo 59/66 and takes a deer or two a year with it, but that guy can walk out his back door ans shoot a deer in his underwear. Using factory loaded 125 gr SP ammo from Remington. Its ballistically a .30-30

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ive hunted with an SKS before, killed a few pigs. Mark, a family member of mine, still hunts with his Yugo 59/66 and takes a deer or two a year with it, but that guy can walk out his back door ans shoot a deer in his underwear. Using factory loaded 125 gr SP ammo from Remington. Its ballistically a .30-30
I was just wondering if say a rem 700 or the like came in this round, Ive got a siaga in it and hit great at a couple hundred yards easy iron sights, but is their a bolt action 700 type rifle geared for it? I dont want to scope that siaga, I like it for an action rifle it reminds me of a glock rifle or something. Anyways.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I was just wondering if say a rem 700 or the like came in this round, Ive got a siaga in it and hit great at a couple hundred yards easy iron sights, but is their a bolt action 700 type rifle geared for it? I dont want to scope that siaga, I like it for an action rifle it reminds me of a glock rifle or something. Anyways.
Here ya go! I have 3 CZ rifles and they all shot crazy accurate.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.