The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my son a new taurus pt92 9mm for Xmas. I just know he's gunna wanna shoot it a lot. So I was thinking lead cast. I see in the load data I have, it shows data for the size bullet I wanna get. I have the powder it shows. So basically I just need bullets. They come lubed, ready to go. Well my question is, is there anything different about loading lead cast than jacketed bullets?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Yes. Cast generally requires more powder to get the same velocity and pressure as an equally sized jacketed bullet. you can use Jacketed data to load cast lead but not vice versa. Also you will need to be careful not to run them too fast or they will lead theo bore up. Generally when you go to cast lead you will want to go heavy with you bullet choices. For the 9mm I would go at least 125 gr with 147 gr being a better choice. I have had excellent results with lighter cast bullets in the 9mm but your best bet there is to run them a little slower, whoch makes for a fairly light load.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Try to keep MV to 1000fps or less, and if you must exceed do so caefully. Theres a fine margin between a load that wont lead and a load that will and its almost always velocity related.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
You may have to flare the case mouth a little more as well. Don't open it too much, but too little can shave lead and lube from the bullet.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
good advice, and something i forgot to mention. Cast lead is generally sized a bit fatter than jacketed bullets, so you will absolutely need to flare a bit mroe to preven shaving the bullet when seating.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok thanks, I was looking at the 147 gr. and I do see they are .356 just a wee bit bigger. Cool they are a lot cheaper.

The data I see is
147gr CFP Wsf powder. .355 dia. Oal 1.169". Start at 3.7 for 905 vel.

Only thing the bullet I found is .356 dia. That's gunna Changethe velocity and pressure right?
I do see more 125 gr. data for 356. Dia. Should I just go with a 125 gr. ?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The 147s hit the steel with some authority.. not as good as a 230 gr .45 but itll rival a 155 gr .40 S&W

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have been running berrys since I started but I think they had another price bump. I am now looking at dardas, they offer a service to make sure you get the right size bullet to seal your barrel. 147 grain is ALOT cheaper through dardas than berrys now! Plus they are used locally for idpa matches. The link below is for a 9 mm slug you can measure it or send it to them to measure they can then send the proper dimension to you to limit leading the barrel!

"WE ARE MEASURING 3 GROOVE AND 5 GROOVE SLUGS TO DETERMINE YOUR CORRECT SIZED DIAMETER. THIS IS A FREE SERVICE THAT WE ARE OFFERING TO YOU. SEND US YOUR SLUG IN A PROTECTED SHEATH AND WE WILL MEASURE IT AND CONTACT YOU AS TO ITS DIAMETER. PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME, ADDDRESS, PHONE, AND EMAIL ADDRESS AND THE CALIBER OF THE BARREL THAT THE SLUG WAS FROM."

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm...dardas&Product_Code=9SLUG&Category_Code=SLUGS

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
And slugging a barrel is easy. For a 9mm, just buy a box of 36 cal muzzle loader balls .375" dia. Coat one with case lube and drive it thru the bore with a rawhide mallet and wooden dowel. you can measure the slug accross the grooves with a dial mic. and you want cast lead at least .001" over that measurement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts