The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
Would any of you experienced reloaders have a suggestion as to what would be a safe starting load for the 260 cartridge using H4350 powder, CCI standard primers, Starline brass and Privi Partisan 156 grain round nose bullets.
I was given a bunch of these bullets but can't find any load data that uses them. The closest I have found uses Norma 204 powder and Norma bullets. I have a bunch of H4350 powder and really hate to buy the Norma powder just to use these bullets. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
My idea is to tell you that if there are no loads for the combination in your manual, then buy the proper powder that the manual tells you.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
See if Hornady has any data for their 160 gr. bullet with 4350. They should, I just loaded their 160 in the Creedmoor and they had data for it using IMR-4350. H and IMR ARE NOT interchangeable and I don't remember seeing H-4350 listed. You might have to find N-204 or extrapolate a load. You're on your own hook

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My idea is to tell you that if there are no loads for the combination in your manual, then buy the proper powder that the manual tells you.
Thanks for that and it is probably sound advice however I am hoping perhaps someone might have tried these bullets using H3450. Powder is getting ridiculously expensive as I am sure you know.

See if Hornady has any data for their 160 gr. bullet with 4350. They should, I just loaded their 160 in the Creedmoor and they had data for it using IMR-4350. H and IMR ARE NOT interchangeable and I don't remember seeing H-4350 listed. You might have to find N-204 or extrapolate a load. You're on your own hook
Thank you for the response and Hodgdon has data for 160 grain bullets using H3450. My real question is would the 4 gr. weight difference in bullets make thoseminimum powder charges not safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Sir I called Hodgdon and the answer given me is that the data for the 160 grain bullets using H 4350 powder was ok as a starting load using a 156 grain bullet.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Excellent!! I knew it was.......I've been loading a LONG time but, lawyers have us all a bit leery. Until I called a friend who had a Hornady book 30 years newer than mine, I was going to use the 156 gr. data I found on line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent!! I knew it was.......I've been loading a LONG time but, lawyers have us all a bit leery. Until I called a friend who had a Hornady book 30 years newer than mine, I was going to use the 156 gr. data I found on line.
Yes Sir.
I really appreciate your input. You are quite right about the legal profession creating a ridiculous overabundance of caution surrounding everything today. Just remember that coffee is in fact usually HOT. LOL!

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Keep, I used 38.5 grs. of IMR-4350 with the Hornady bullet and it shot lights out. If there's an H-4350 load in that range, and I expect there is, might give it a go.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Go to hodgdonreliading.com for load data. The Hodgdon free load data website is very easy to navigate. Select Rifle on the first page. Page has four steps, follow them and to finish click on the red rectangle box that says Update Data. On my cellphone I usually has to scroll the screen a little bit for the load data to appear. On my laptop the load data will appear within a second or so.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
PRR, when I was looking for data...last week or the week before(?), I could not get that site to work for spit. This morning it worked fine. Go figger....lol! Ah well, it doesn't list the Hornady 160 gr. RN but my friend's book did.

Computers.....gotta love 'em.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
PRR, when I was looking for data...last week or the week before(?), I could not get that site to work for spit. This morning it worked fine. Go figger....lol! Ah well, it doesn't list the Hornady 160 gr. RN but my friend's book did.

Computers.....gotta love 'em.
Hodgdon’s online direct gunpowder sales hasn’t been working either sales.hodgdon.com. I’m taken to a website call Flywheel. I keep forgetting to call or email Hodgdon about this. Two months ago Hodgdon’s sales website was working in that a friend I had informed about the direct sales had successfully ordered three pounds of Ramshot, Silhouette. Although Hodgdon owns and distribute Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester, Accurate, and Ramshot gunpowders, their direct sales two months ago olny had less than a dozen gunpowders available at the time. Actually I’m going to try and send an email momentarily to Hodgdon to inquire about their direct sales.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I think that's the first time I actually looked for data on line, from a powder web site. Usually when I'm looking for data there's no need to go there because they don't list the cartridge I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Nosler, Speer, and Barns have free online load data for their bullets. VihtaVuori has free online load data for their gunpowders. Hornedy if called will tell over the phone load data for a particular cartridge and bullet, but they will limit the amount of info. They really want people to by their latest load data manual. Sierra if called will spend time going over load options for a particular cartridge. I’ve shot a lot of Sierra Match King bullets in several different cartridges and calibers, but I’m not really a fan of their load data books because they are a two ring binder which I’ve torn pages out by accident in the past. The binder would be a good idea if supplemental new cartridges pages could be separately purchased. Sierra dose offer a load data app, but it has to be purchased.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Alliant has free online load data for their gunpowders.

I like the online load data from the gunpowder manufactures because if there is an up data or more importantly a recall I’ll find out about it and can notify other ammo reloading members of the gun forums I frequent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts