loading Poly-metal bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ross587, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Ross587

Ross587 New Member

I am trying to load poly-metal bullets for a 9mm. I have gone to the inceptor load data site and there load data does not cycle my Glock 26 or 17L. It will cycle my Clock 43. The powder i am using is CFE Pistol and I have gone up to the maximum load data and the firearms still do not cycle. Is anyone else out there attempting to load this ammo? I do not want to just go over the maximum load data without some input from others. Being a pressure formed bullet I do not know if higher than maximum loads would cause the bullet to come apart in the barrel. I have gone tighter on the crimp which they say you do not need to do and I have also shortened the c.o.l. that is suggested in an attempt to get more recoil in an effort to get the firearms to cycle. Nothing seems to work. Help Please!!!!

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't use CFE Pistol, I don't know what a poly-metal bullet is, and I don't own any glocks, but my first thought is to try some different powder.

mikld likes this.

3. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

I would check the bore vs. bullet diameter. If the bullet diameter is smaller than the bore, that could be part of your problem.

Somebody else should jump in here and check my thinking but I can't see shortening COL helping in any way. The 9x19mm head spaces on the case rim so I would suggest trying a taper crimp and sticking to SAAMI specs. on the case mouth crimped diameter.

Thirdly, a cautionary point. Stop going up to and beyond maximum loads to make a pistol cycle. You're concerned about the bullet coming apart but you could have your pistol come apart using that approach.

4. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Not entirely all correct, the 9X19 headspaces on the case mouth. The .38 Super in it's original introduction headspaced on the semi-rim, but that has been changed to headspace on the case mouth now. Even a bottleneck cartridge like the .357 SIG headspace on the case mouth. I think revolver cartridges are the only handgun rounds to headspace on the rim.

Shanghai likes this.
  5. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

Good catch, I said rim when I meant mouth:(. I got I got it right when I suggested sticking to SAAMI spec on the crimped case mouth.

6. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

You may have to go to a lighter recoil spring.

7. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A shorter COL can increase pressure and velocity and thus get a load to cycle that with a longer COL did not.
    Since you have no way of estimating what the pressure will be with xx COL instead of YY I would not go below the COL in the manual, especially not with max loads. (hard to do since you are likely not using the exact bullet in the manual)

Case in point, last year I made some low charge .38 special which would have been perfect for a 5" barrel. Unfortunately my gun had a 6", the bullet stuck about 1" before the end of the muzzle.
    Of course I violated the rule "make a few and test them before making a lot" and made 50 of them.
    Shortening the COL just did the trick and got them to work though I did check the target for a new hole each time :p

Shanghai likes this.