The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just traded a stock set that I made for a .280 barrel for a H & R break-action, and am wondering how many of you reload for the .280 Rem/7MM Express? I'd imagine that it will like the same powders as the others in calibers in the 06 cartridge family, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, H 414, RX 19, RX 22. I'd like to know what's the favored weight bullet for this round. My first thought is to try 150gr boattails, as my favorite load for my .270 is a 140 gr bullet and for the .30-06, my son and I like the 165 gr SSTs. Opinions please? Here's the stock set I traded.. with no finish, just a good rubdown with the 320 grit. :) I would also be interested in a set of .280 AI dies!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm guessing by the lack of responces that no one on this board shoots a .280 Rem?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the wood is California Redwood Burl, and the light colored accents are Oregon Golden Myrtle, sure makes a beautifull combitnation, especially after a coating of Tru-Oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just saw your post. The 280 7400 is one of my favorite deer rifles. I load the 140 gr Nosler Partition at 2950 fps. Powder is IMR 4350. OAL 3.313"

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't, but that wood is beautiful.
I do not anymore. I gave it to a good friend but still reload for him. My favorite bullet is the nosler 140 partition. It works well on deer and elk. I shot a moose ( cow ) at 63 yards with it years ago. She made it about 40 yards and expired. My choice for powder is IMR 4350. Reloader 19 is second on my list. Since my last bout with an icy driveway cost me 5 fractured vertabrae I do not go hunting much anymore. The 280 is a great cartridge and is very under appreciated. 7mm Rem. mag does have that much more to offer with its increased recoil. Just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts