The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an old revolver I'm selling for $150 (curio & relic, I.J. Supershot .22). Went to my local guy and said "I want to ship it to a dealer in Kansas, how much?" He quoted me $110. I told him it's not happening, the average gun would never ship at those prices, its value wouldn't suport that markup not to mention the buyers additional cost at the other end!
Am I crazy or is this guy trying to take advantage? I'm in Ca. btw.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is outrages. I woudl find another dealer and be sure to tell that one you will no longer be using him for ANYTHING and why..

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
You do NOT need to have a dealer ship the gun, you only need that the recipient be a licensed dealer, licensed manufacturer, or (if the gun is a C&R) a licensed collector.

Your buyer should send you a copy of his FFL or his local dealer's FFL and you can ship to that licensee directly. Make sure you enclose your name and address and a COPY of the FFL copy the buyer sent you.

The normal reason for using a dealer to ship the gun is that a dealer can ship using USPS (the mail) at a cheaper rate than shipping by UPS or FedEx. But of course, the dealer in question, for whatever reason, is charging MORE than those common carriers.

Jim

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I checked with another dealer not much further away that's quoting me $45 to $55. Now that seems reasonable. Still going to check UPS and FEDEX. I didn't think they would do it for a private party.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
$35 or so to ship with UPS or Fedex is about the norm. If the buyer has a C&R FFL it can go straight to him, get a copy of his license for your own records, if not then ship to his choice of FFL's, just have them send or FAX you their FFL.

Just because the guy has an 01FFL doesn't mean he actually knows squat...

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Just shipped one.
$11.35 for shipping,$4.85 for insurance.(for $300)

Some people just want to rip you off.
Mike

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It's the same way around here. LGS dealers here will not ship or transfer period! (Unless, you originally bought the firearm from "them")

You may want to try a pawn shop. We have one or two around here that will do it for between $15-$30.

-

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
I ship FedEx when I send a gun in for repairs. Never had an issue. Their ground rates are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I just sent a 12 x 7 x 38 inch box with a muzzle loader in it to Shooter it weighed 13 lbs via UPS and it was 17.00

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh I know California is pretty anal about guns but that dealer has lost my business. I had just been talking with him about leaving a couple guns to sell, which he likes because he doesn't have much stock of his own, but hey, that's a 2 way street. You don't keep loyal customers by trying to stick it to'em.
Gonna head over to FedEx, see what they say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Many FFL Holders aka Dealers will no longer accept firearms from private sellers for a transfer to a private buyer, ourselves included. Yes, it's legal but there's just to much liabilty. I want to be able to verify where it came from via an FFL number instead of a copy of Joe Schmoes drivers license.

Per FedEx and UPS: Handguns must be shipped via Priority Overnite. That can cost quite a bit, depending on how far it's traveling and what it weighs. Per the Post Office: An FFL Holder can mail a handgun to another FFL Holder. A short easy form has to be filled out and copies of both FFL's submitted with it. That's the best way as far as cost is concerned but their tracking system leaves a little to be desired.

Now having said all of that!: $110 is WAY to high for a Dealer to ship a handgun to another Dealer, even for California! He probably doesn't know about mailing it via The Post Office. For comparison: A 6 pound package shipping from Arizona to North Florida insured for $500 via FedEx Priority Overnite will cost $97. Dealer to Dealer via The Post Office in a medium flat box is $11. Insurance and signature will add another $10. Hope this helps! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
"Many FFL Holders ... will no longer accept firearms from private sellers for a transfer to a private buyer, ourselves included."

So you never take trade-ins or guns on consignment, only new guns from distributors?

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
"....."Many FFL Holders ... will no longer accept firearms from private sellers for a transfer to a private buyer, ourselves included."
So you never take trade-ins or guns on consignment, only new guns from distributors?
Jim ...."

I guess I should have clarified that a little more so here is a more detailed version.

Many FFL Holders aka Dealers will no longer accept firearms shipped in from private sellers for a transfer to a private buyer, ourselves included. Yes, it's legal but there's just to much liabilty. I want to be able to verify where it came from via an FFL number instead of a copy of Joe Schmoes drivers license unless Joe Schmoe is standing in front of me. I don't have a problem when matching up Joe Schmoes license to his face for transfers or consignment. If it's being shipped in for a transfer, it has to come from somebody with a verifiable FFL. How's that? Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I'm with Mac on this.We do not except transfers from out of state unless it comes from a FFL.
Mike

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
You do NOT need to have a dealer ship the gun, you only need that the recipient be a licensed dealer, licensed manufacturer, or (if the gun is a C&R) a licensed collector.

Your buyer should send you a copy of his FFL or his local dealer's FFL and you can ship to that licensee directly. Make sure you enclose your name and address and a COPY of the FFL copy the buyer sent you.

The normal reason for using a dealer to ship the gun is that a dealer can ship using USPS (the mail) at a cheaper rate than shipping by UPS or FedEx. But of course, the dealer in question, for whatever reason, is charging MORE than those common carriers.

Jim
Spot on here guys.. This is the way I now do it when i get out of town/state customers. as long as teh destination is to an FFL that covers the firearm type its all good. That does mean return shipping would have to go thru a local FFL for transfer back to you, but the savings on the initial ship to would help ofset the transfer fee.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts