The Firearms Forum banner

Local Walmart Ammo

5K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Fatstrat 
#1 ·
Just got back from my local Walmart. Did not think I would find anything. The clerk told me that they no longer get one shipment per week. They now get ammo in smaller quantities just about every day. Knowing when the weekly shipment arrived caused a rush on Thursday, and left very little for anyone else by the time it was over. Now, no one knows exactly what will come in on what day.
Personally, I like the way they are doing it now at my local store. I never bought everything up out of consideration for others. Many people thought only of themselves and would clean out a shelf. I think this new way of doing things will certainly help with the problem.
So ask your local clerk if the store is getting ammo everyday now or just once a week. It may have changed at your local store as well.

I didn't get much tho. 5 boxes of .22 shorts and 2 boxes of .22 mag.

#2 ·
Or Wal Mart has a 2 box per day limit. My daughter used to work the Sporting Goods counter there. Now works in other dept. But has connections to find out what is coming in. Different DC centers handle different products (IE: Dry goods/hardware vs. produce etc). Haven't done it yet,(I stocked up previously) But I can find out which type ammo is coming in on what day. So I just have to be sure to be there to get some. If you know anyone who works at Wal Mart, might be a good system for you as well.

#3 ·
Nearest Walmart is 80 miles away. I buy local or order online.

#4 ·
Went to the WM yesterday looking for some .45ACP. They had 1 box of 100 rounds and 1 50 round box of rem JHP. Picked up the 100 rounder for a bit over $50 with tax. Saw no rimfire or .223. Several boxes of .40 and several boxes of various rifle (not .308) ammo. Lots of shotgun shells.

#5 ·
I just got back from Cabela's. No .22 .223 .308 .357 I better stop there. It would be easier to say what they did have. 45acp .45 colt .9mil but not a lot. Almost no handguns. They did have a pretty go selection of bolt action rifles.

#6 ·
I am in Natchez, MS at the moment, and we stopped by the local Wal Mart here. While in the store the manager came by the sporting goods dept, and told the clerk there that Wal Mart would not be ordering any more ammo until further notice. He told the clerk, "What you have is all you will get for now". I asked him if this applied to all Wal Mart stores, and he said that was his understanding.

#8 ·
I went to my favorite LGS this afternoon and they had a large LCD computer monitor set up behind the counter so that when you asked for a particular item you could see for yourself the zero balance on hand at the various large wholesalers. There are currently no estimated in stock dates for the wholesaler zero balance items. The LGS owner said that stocks are so thin everywhere in the supply chain that it will probably take 6-7 months for the manufacturers to recover.

#9 ·
Thought I'd use a gift card from our work Safety program.
Laramie WalMart shelves denuded as well, just some .380 remaining. Was told that there is a Corporate hold on all items firearms related.
I buy ammo online, except for the gift cards.

If they quit carrying ammo, I'll have no need to give them my patronage. Except for more stops in my shopping ventures, I can find almost everything cheaper than Wallys.

#10 ·
My wife and I were over at our local Walmart this morning. I went down to the sporting goods department to see what I could see and didn't find a lot of ammo. The clerk was stocking some shotgun shells but I did not see much center fire ammo at all. There were some .380 and .40 but not much else.

What did catch my eye was the Mini-14 in the case. They had one right before Christmas that was something like $570 +/-. The one they had today was $649.99, I did not have any credit cards, checkbook, or enough cash with me to get it. Besides, I would never buy a gun with my wife lurking around, since she hates them. I have to go back over that way later today and I now have the cash in my pocket, so it will come home with me then, if it is still there.

#15 · (Edited)
I went back over to the Walmart near the house and bought the Mini-14. While I was waiting for "a member of management" to show up to finish the deal I had plenty of time to study the ammo situation a little more carefully. It took over 20 minutes and 4 or 5 pages for that management person to finally show up. Along with the .380 and .40 I mentioned earlier, there seemed to be quite a bit of what I will call unusual (or less used) ammo such as .35 Whelen and 300 Win Magnum ammo along with plenty of the higher priced .30-06, .270 and .308 ammo. I saw one box of 30-30 and one of .45 ACP.

#16 ·
yep.. the odd stuff held out the longest here. as of last week, a box of 357sig, 40sw, 410 handgun and 17hmr were still on the shelf. now it's pretty much some shotshells in 12g and some 22shorts. I don't think there is ANY centerfire ammo other than them shotshells there.. ;)

#18 ·
Can't find any .22 here anywhere. Another member here lives on the other side of the city and said he saw some at Gander Mountain. He will let me know if they still have it when I go out there. Its 50 miles on the far south side. I live in the north.

#19 ·
Remember when a few years ago you couldn't buy .380 ammo?

My brother lives in West Lake, LA, and he made a trip to Wal Mart day before yesterday, and spent $400 on what they did have in stock, shot gun shells. They seem to have plenty of that type of ammo.

#21 ·
I shoot a Glock 22 and am pleased that the 40S&W ammo is still on the shelves at most locations. I thought with all the praise for anything 17 HMR would have that ammo cleaned out too. Not sure why so much is still around along with 22 mag. So far the .380 hasn't jumped from $15 to $40 like it did the last panic.
A similar panic story before WalMart existed or most of you were born. In the mid 70's, Johnnie Carson mentioned during his standup segment about a little known national shortage of toilet paper. The next day, most super markets had zero toilet paper on their shelves or stock room. Human nature at its best.

#22 ·
Went to my local Wally this afternoon to get some .22 bulk. They haven't had any .22 since about 2 days after Christmas. I ended up buying some 12ga shells. Manager said they had ammo comming, but most everything is backordered.
Donnie D

#24 ·
I was at Walmart about an hour ago and they had tons of .22 mag which is what I shoot. $10 per box of 50 wmr super x 40 gr. I wanted to buy a few more boxes for when I get my Single 9 back but there wasn't anyone around to get it for me :(

Oh well I have 100 mag ends on hand that will get me through until I can buy in bulk after stock goes up and price goes down

#25 ·
our local store got in a few boxes of rem 380 and a few boxes of 12g 00 buck.

and now.. finally.. I knew it would happen.. all the wm's around me ar on a 3 box per person, per day limit. :) ( unless you can sneak back in later in the day and get a different teller. ) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.