The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys....

What price am I looking to start at for something that will shoot the 1000 yard range?

Ive read a million reviews on savage versus rem 700 and TC and so on.

Honestly I dont know if they can even hit that far without a million mods.

Can I do something for under 1000 bucks? I can get a better scope later, this dosnt all need to be 1 big purchase.

I would like to hunt with it some day and also do long range target shooting.

Sorry I dont know all the lingo on long range shooting since my longest gun is my mauser lol. Iron sights, love it though.

Anyways, it seems the rem 700 is always the first choice but how far can it hit on target, do I need to be looking at completely dif guns?

PS, if you need to link me to an existing thread feel free, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe I should edit the 1000 yards down to 500 or so lol.

I just know that anything I get into I get good at real fast and dont want to get something only good for 200 yards and get mad I cant go for the long yards.

·
Administrator
33,115 Posts
Savage makes the most accurate out of the box rifle.

My Model 10 FP .308 with a few mods such as a Sharpshooter Trigger and a McMillian stock gets the job done. I punch paper at 200,300,600 and 1000 yds.

The Remington 700 will do the same but for a lot more money.
Just my .02

·
Registered
9,415 Posts

My Model 10 FP .308 with a few mods such as a Sharpshooter Trigger and a McMillian stock gets the job done. I punch paper at 200,300,600 and 1000 yds.

Just my .02
OK, I have a Remington, a Winchester, and a Weatherby, but I have to agre with Shooter. You can't go wrong with the Savage. I want a .308 and it may just be in a savage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks shooter, I keep seeing that same info, I just feel more drawn to the 700 when I hold them both, I hate expensive taste. Sometimes I think I need to shave my taste buds hell IDK.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I have a Remington, a Winchester, and a Weatherby, but I have to agre with Shooter. You can't go wrong with the Savage. I want a .308 and it may just be in a savage.
I just dont want to go with the savage due to price, I get afraid lots of people lean on saying savage because its what they decided to get and they want to defend it, any thoughts?

Obviously they are both great, I never see bad reviews.

·
Administrator
33,115 Posts
My friend had a Rem 700 M40a2.

We both shot tighter groups with my Savage.

The same gunsmith built them both.

Even with the same mods, I had less $$ in the Savage.

Go figure.
It's your money, spend it as you want. :)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I second the savages. best actions for a LR build IMO. Rem 700 actions are good too but i liek Savages more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just my .02
so how much is this gun the way you say its set up?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I woudl try out someones rifle to see if your truly going to get into it. It also depends on what you are going to do at 1000? You wanna shoot comp or juts do it.

To build a 1000 yard gun you can start with a rem 700 PSS type rifle for around 8 to 900 bucks. Then your going to need at least another grand to see at range. You are then going to have to reload the recipe that works in your rifle.

I have seen guys shoot a set up anywhere form 1500 to well over 20 grand. I assure non of the guys wining matches are using anything on the low end.

If you not already in the HP relm I would start with the rifle mentioned and quality scope then as you learn buy parts to build the rifle you truly want.

There are several places Holland or Tommy Shurley ( the guy who took over Richard Franklin's shop when he retired ) or other who can build you a rifle that will shoot better then any of us could every hope to make the most of.

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMO you are asking for two different animals. A target rifle makes a poor hunting platform due to it's design and weight. You want a heavy gun to dissipate heat, make the barrel stiffer, wide forestock etc. and none of those contribute to a rifle you can sling and carry all day.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
the only happy compromise is a Varmint rig in .308. Youll lose a bit in precision accuracy due to the lighter barrel and standard stock, but itll still be capable of spectaculafr 1000 yd accuracy.

G

·
$1800 to $2000 will get you right in the middle of the thick of long range shooting.

Get the Savage M12 F-TR in 308
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282118

Or the Remington 700 5r.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

Top it with a 20 to 30 MOA rail and get a quality rings and scope. Top three are

1. Nightforce NSX 5-22x56mm
2. Leupold Mk-4 LR 8.5-25x50mm
3. Sightron SIII 8-32x56mm

If you want to shoot F-Class a good shooting matt and a bipod.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...-shooting-mat-pvc-coated-polyester-olive-drab

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...r-3rd-generation-f-class-bipod-prod44699.aspx

You're all set and ready to go. If you don't reload get the Black Hills red box 175gr match ammo or Federals 175gr match ammo and head to the range. Tell the guys at the F-Class match you are new and they will coach you and help you all day long.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i own three savage tacticals so quess what.i have 223,308,and 300 win mag so your choice is not only the gun but the caliber.if i was to have to choose one it would be in 300 win mag.it will work for long distance plus take down anything on this part of the world.nuff said old semperfi

·
Registered
298 Posts
Long range is expensive no matter how you slice it, unless you just want to ring a gong once to say you did it. Good glass starts at $1700 and goes up. .338 Lapua is outstanding - at $5-6 per round. .308 is a great place to start, Savage or Remington your choice. Hunting gun with a 3-9 Leupold you can reach out there but not as easily as a gun set up for long range. I don't hunt so I don't have that problem, if I did, I'd use my 6.5 x 47 Lapua. You might want to think about reloading as well.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I believe the .264 bore to be the best LR bore around. 6.5X47 lap, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 creedmoor, .260 remington, .264 winmag, etc.. all of them are excellent LR rounds with the high BC bullets offered for the 6.5 now days.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yup to what Josh said...Currently looking to build a 6.5x55 Swede or 6.5 Creedmoor depending on the donor action I come up with. Low recoil and great ballistics for the wife. Got those barrel changing tools just asking to be used again;):D

G

·
What exactly do you want to do?

Do you want to just shoot long range informally?

Do you want to test the waters?

Do you want to just in feet first into something like Cross the course or NRA midrange, or F-Class (The funnest thing I have ever done with a gun) other than blowing up varmints.

What I am going to say is this. Find a local range that does F-Class matches and go watch them a few times. Talk to the guys and ask questions. Many times if you are showing an intrest they will rent you their gun and ammo for a small fee or many at mine will allow you to use their gun if you supply ammo (Mostly black hills 175gr Match) ammo.

Then you can see if it is even something you want to aim for.

If my daughter who doesn't shoot hardly at all can sit down behind a Rem 700 5r and put her first shot ever with a centerfire in the X ring at 1000 yards you can hit the target. My son using the same gun had a 10 ring and a 9 ring hit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts